HybridZ

someone gave me a 240z

Can you believe it! This car could be someones project. Being that I already have a 240 that is as perfect as37 years can be, I have only used parts off of it. Dont worry it wasnt anywhere near driveable.

My car has a stock motor trans and the free car came with a n42 l28 block, n47 head, n47 intake (injected), and a borg warner 5spd. I think it is a t5. I have already put the tranny in my car to go along with the short nose r200 and cv swap but I dont know what to do for a motor.

I spoke with an old friend who builds A LOT of Datsun motors out of antioch ca and he suggested to use the n42 block with n47 head, with a set of 47 su's. He said it would do 250-270hp. He built several 510 na motors for me that were very fun. I like the idea of carbs because I can trouble shoot carbed engines.

I know that FE motors make more HP. The wiring harness that came with the intake looks not to bad. I just wanted to get some input from you guys. what do you think I should do?

Ken D

People still talk about my 510 and I dismantled and sold it over 12 years ago. I AM old school DATSUN.

I know that FE motors make more HP. The wiring harness that came with the intake looks not to bad. I just wanted to get some input from you guys. what do you think I should do?

You're running an L24 block now? I would definitely use the L28 block with fuel injection. There's no reason you can't trouble shoot fuel injection, it's pretty simple. If you stick with stock, here is your bible: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Fuel-Injection-Engine-Management/dp/0837603005/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197598572&sr=8-6

I use Megasquirt, though.

I think your friend may have been exaggerating on your expected HP numbers, seeing as the stock 77-78 came with the N42/N47 combo + EFI and made around 170bhp/140whp. Where does he expect to pick up another 80hp? Most people aren't willing to spend the money it takes to build a 250hp NA motor, even if we're talking crank hp.

flywheel HP of course, I understand what it would take for rwhp and its not worth the money for an old L series. Even if it would be possible for that matter.

The motor that he would build for me would be complete. The next step would be his stroker 3.1 which is really expensive. Though you are right, 250+ hp is not cheap. I never said how much I would need to spend to get it. Is the n47 head and intake worth putting money into or would it be better to find a better combo?

Thank you for your responses!

Ken D

I forgot to mention that he built me a 2300 for my 510, actually he rebuilt the motor several years after I bought the car. He built it for the previous owner and it was his 3rd 2300, sort of one of his proto types and it had 143 rwhp and 139 ft lbs. at the rear wheel.

It was fun to say the least.

Ken D

I just wanted a wider scope of input than what he has told me. There are some brilliant people on this website, most of which are very touchy. I understand. I am guilty of asking for tech. info without searching, but opinions I shouldnt have to search for, should I?

Maybe I am misunderstanding this website. I do enjoy looking for info here.

Ken D