HybridZ

Novice at Bodywork...

78280z

http://www.rustrepair.com/repair_panels/onlinecat.htm?r=ru&p=sm

Sells rockers and quarter panel replacement sheet metal.

They list the rockers for 65.70, quarters for 73.80. I'm not sure about their reputation so you might want to ask around.

tabco, mill supply also have parts too.

P.S mill supply too me to the rust repair web site. Maybe they are the same company?

I've seen worse but I have to add that either you can find a better car and start there or contact someone in AZ and get a good tub. Craigs list can help your search. In Atlanta, I quickly searched Datsun and found:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/541520033.html (ZX at Eddie's)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/523154529.html (2 Cars)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/516435676.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/517255453.html (ZX)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/522811083.html (Antique automobile!)

Bring a trailer!

There were a lot more S30, but they must have sold in the last couple of days or been removed.

Anyhoo, good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

So, after much consideration, I'm just going to bite the bullet and save another Z from the junkyard. It will be a learning experience.

What type of sheet metal do you guys use for patch work? I need to make some small patches in my floorpan as well as the one on the hood. Also, what should I do with those front rad supports? Cut out the rust and weld in sheet? Thanks in advance for your help!

I went thru 3 shells before I found a decent one. Im no master bodyman by any stretch, but the man who helps me retired from 40+ yrs in buffalo ny owning 2 shops and retireing in ky. You always end up with crap if you start from it and the metal in these cars is not great to start with. The only way I've found to repair panels on these cars is with my tig welder and clay on each side and it still distorts like crazy! Take the man's advice start with a clean shell.

Best luck

rk

Guest TeamNissan
You always end up with crap if you sar from it and the metal in these cars is not great to start with. The only way I've found to repair panels on these cars is with my tig welder and clay on each side and it still destorts like crazy!

Best luck

Not true in the least. There have been PLENTY of cars in general not just z's that were completely run into the ground, rusted to hell and have been restored to BEYOND factory condition.

I myself with probably the cheapest mig you can buy (mig100 used off ebay)did ALL my rust repair with little to no distortion at all. That includes both dog legs, rockers, corner light elimination, custom rear etc. I am not the minority either.

i didnt say it cant be done, but by a novice the task is a little more serious. As i said im no master bodyman but this is my 4th z and starting w a clean shell is a great deal more simple. Depending on what color you would go with will determine how much will show though. The darker the color the more i would go with as nice a shell as could be found. I did a model A last summer and used the new self building primers. I'm not sure if you've seen these from the factory but they were something of potato skin (lumpy to say th least)! Just know that you will become very good friends with your block sander!

Yes, I know it will be a pain and it will be more cost effective to just get a different shell, but I want the learning experience. Thanks for the encouraging words TeamNissan. So anyway, I still have some questions...

So, after much consideration, I'm just going to bite the bullet and save another Z from the junkyard. It will be a learning experience.

What type of sheet metal do you guys use for patch work? I need to make some small patches in my floorpan as well as the one on the hood. Also, what should I do with those front rad supports? Cut out the rust and weld in sheet? Thanks in advance for your help!

Also, if someone has a passenger's rear quarter panel, I'm in the market.

Go to the automotive paint supply house in your area. Look in the phone book if you don't know where one is around you, they're out there, every town with a bodyshop has one, but since they aren't really suppose to sell stuff to the general public they tend to not be right on the main drag. You are going to have to make friends with these guys anyhow. They usually have plain flat sheet metal for patching in easy to work with sizes like 2' x 3' or so. They generally carry some universal patch panels as well.

Rad support is basically a box section and a good canidate for sheet metal patch.

If you want to learn start of simple by using donor parts, get in contact with the ppl around you that do z's. You wont need to worry about using different metals n such on your panels if they came of that car, just a thought and good luck! Don't want to discourage you I just hate to see someone else go thru the b.s. I did! If you have a tech school close to you, a trade school even, most of them will let you bring your own project in to work on and sign up! You have someone there you can always refer to who teaches so theyre patint and if your nice you even may get to use the place on nites and weekends, makes a big differece if you dont have those tools at hand! Good luck sir.

rk