HybridZ

RB20det swap into a Z32

Guest Lawy'du

Guest Lawy'du

Hey guys,

In the past I have owned a 94 Z32, and now I am driving A G35. Today I just picked up a super clean red 1992 Z32 5MT with an engine that doesn't run and I was thinking about doing the RB20det swap. I have done some searching and it doesn't seem like much of the info on this swap on this forum is reliable. I can get the motor, turbo, tranny, ecu and wiring, etc. all for fairly cheap so I was wondering what else you guys think I would need for the swap. I'd rather not rebuild the VG since it is NA and I'd much rather do something unique. I already have a great mechanic that does only JDM stuff so that isn't a problem either. Let me know what your thoughts are, (besides the whole power to weight RB bashing junk). My main concern is the driveshaft. Can I use the one that is in my current 1992 NA Z32? Also what other things do you think I will need for this swap?

Thanks a ton guys. I'm super happy to have a Z32 again (once it's up and running that is lol)!!!

Hey guys,

In the past I have owned a 94 Z32, and now I am driving A G35. Today I just picked up a super clean red 1992 Z32 5MT with an engine that doesn't run and I was thinking about doing the RB20det swap. I have done some searching and it doesn't seem like much of the info on this swap on this forum is reliable. I can get the motor, turbo, tranny, ecu and wiring, etc. all for fairly cheap so I was wondering what else you guys think I would need for the swap. I'd rather not rebuild the VG since it is NA and I'd much rather do something unique. I already have a great mechanic that does only JDM stuff so that isn't a problem either. Let me know what your thoughts are, (besides the whole power to weight RB bashing junk). My main concern is the driveshaft. Can I use the one that is in my current 1992 NA Z32? Also what other things do you think I will need for this swap?

Thanks a ton guys. I'm super happy to have a Z32 again (once it's up and running that is lol)!!!

I have a RB25 and RB26 and have driven several RB20's and just think they are down on power. I would rather run a SR20 motor and save some weight but that's just me. If you can add a couple of hundred bucks to step up to the 25 motor, you will be a very happy camper or the 26 for that matter. Good luck.

RB20 would be a bit sluggish in a Z32 unless you gutt the thing out or sacrifice low-rev power and use a fairly large turbo charger to make a higher peak hp where the car would move easier and strain the little 2.0 less.

I'd really go with an RB25 and some turbo modifications to have it spool quicker and make more power earlier. You'd really feel more of a benefit from the added torque when putting a 2.5 litre into something that is heavier than a 240sx.

The drivetrain loss due to the larger size of the R230 diff is also a factor with the 2 litre, but since you're using a factory N/A as a base, I think they had R200's so you may not feel that loss much... but It'd still need some revs (and a lot of energy at those revs) to really get it goin. I'm going to shoot in the dark and say that a factory Z32T will be faster. And you can probably get a JDM VG30DET and get a better turbo setup for the same price that it would cost you to do the same with the RB20. Ontop of that, you would be assured that all the factory stuff that's in your car now will pretty much plug in or bolt on with minimal work for an engine swap other than another factory engine.

RB20 + Z32 unless highly modified or gutted is not an option I would consider. If I had a little extra cash to add some new things to an RB25DET, I would go with that. But All RB's aside (and this is just for comparison purposes), I would get a VG30DET and slap on a nice intake plenum and a fatty turbo with a large intercooler setup and lay down more power with less tinkering. And then at that point, you have the option of going with forged parts... both of which are widely available here now... and both of which are about the same price per item, and same total cause they're both 6's.

Just for all intensive purposes, I know you'd rather not talk about the power to weight ratio thing... but you cannot avoid it because that is what people with performance in mind will base their opinion on. I have no problem with an RB weighing more than an SR20... I'd rather take an RB25's weight and two extra cylinders rather than an SR20. But between the SR20 and the RB20... and since you want something different.... I would cross them both out of the list and go with an FJ20, or even a KA24.., or better yet... possibly an L28 popped and pushed out to somewhere around 3 litres with a nice GT35R or GT42 to back that sucker up =)

Just cause I think it's more different than an RB as a whole.

Then again... I'm building an N/A RB... so take my opinion/information for what it is. LOL

Guest Lawy'du
RB20 would be a bit sluggish in a Z32 unless you gutt the thing out or sacrifice low-rev power and use a fairly large turbo charger to make a higher peak hp where the car would move easier and strain the little 2.0 less.

I'd really go with an RB25 and some turbo modifications to have it spool quicker and make more power earlier. You'd really feel more of a benefit from the added torque when putting a 2.5 litre into something that is heavier than a 240sx.

The drivetrain loss due to the larger size of the R230 diff is also a factor with the 2 litre, but since you're using a factory N/A as a base, I think they had R200's so you may not feel that loss much... but It'd still need some revs (and a lot of energy at those revs) to really get it goin. I'm going to shoot in the dark and say that a factory Z32T will be faster. And you can probably get a JDM VG30DET and get a better turbo setup for the same price that it would cost you to do the same with the RB20. Ontop of that, you would be assured that all the factory stuff that's in your car now will pretty much plug in or bolt on with minimal work for an engine swap other than another factory engine.

RB20 + Z32 unless highly modified or gutted is not an option I would consider. If I had a little extra cash to add some new things to an RB25DET, I would go with that. But All RB's aside (and this is just for comparison purposes), I would get a VG30DET and slap on a nice intake plenum and a fatty turbo with a large intercooler setup and lay down more power with less tinkering. And then at that point, you have the option of going with forged parts... both of which are widely available here now... and both of which are about the same price per item, and same total cause they're both 6's.

Just for all intensive purposes, I know you'd rather not talk about the power to weight ratio thing... but you cannot avoid it because that is what people with performance in mind will base their opinion on. I have no problem with an RB weighing more than an SR20... I'd rather take an RB25's weight and two extra cylinders rather than an SR20. But between the SR20 and the RB20... and since you want something different.... I would cross them both out of the list and go with an FJ20, or even a KA24.., or better yet... possibly an L28 popped and pushed out to somewhere around 3 litres with a nice GT35R or GT42 to back that sucker up =)

Just cause I think it's more different than an RB as a whole.

Then again... I'm building an N/A RB... so take my opinion/information for what it is. LOL

Do you guys know if the SR then bolts up to the Z32 transmission? That would be my other option than just making the NA motor work.

Do you guys know if the SR then bolts up to the Z32 transmission? That would be my other option than just making the NA motor work.

You can get an adapter plate, i think for maxworx motorsports. but even then, it still might not move the car as quick as you'd like.

I really think the RB25 is the best bet, and I don't think there are tons of Z32's with em.

I have a RB25 and RB26 and have driven several RB20's and just think they are down on power. I would rather run a SR20 motor and save some weight but that's just me. If you can add a couple of hundred bucks to step up to the 25 motor, you will be a very happy camper or the 26 for that matter. Good luck.

Just a note, the RB20 is about $1000 USD cheaper than an RB25. The 20 goes for roughly $1000-1400, whereas you won't find an RB25 for under $2000.

^This is prices for the engine, transmission, ecu, harness, etc..

Just a note, the RB20 is about $1000 USD cheaper than an RB25. The 20 goes for roughly $1000-1400, whereas you won't find an RB25 for under $2000.

^This is prices for the engine, transmission, ecu, harness, etc..

Don't forget that the RB20DET has the weaker FS5W17C transmission, and the RB25DET comes with the strongest Nissan transmission, the FS5R30A. That's essentially where the extra cost comes from, and the other two cylinders as well.

And yes, you can find a RB25DET for less than 2000.

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=92&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

In this case, if you find an RB25DET for more than 2000 from Tiger Japanese, they'll pay the shipping =)

It's still a better idea than the RB20.

I suppose then that it's all what someone wants. For me I'm going to be tuning for roughly 200-300rwhp, which isn't too hard for an RB20, and will cost less in the end. The RB25 is still $1000 more.

EDIT: also what other cylinders? They are both 6:confused:

SORRY FELLAS.

LOL I know the RB20 is also a 6, i was just thinking about the FJ20 for some reason after I had finished writing about the RB20. I like the FJ :D

but anywhoo... If you're going to be going with just 300 hp, then why not just get the JDM VG30DET... it will make the same power out of the box, and not cost you as much as the RB20 to get it installed...

I like different swaps too (this is HybridZ, right?!) but fitting a car with an engine that will produce less power than what the car even came with is.... to put it easily... "meh".

especially when there is an option that will cost roughly the same or less, and provide you with more power out of the box, as well as fitting in almost effortlessly (VG30DET)

VG30DET (engine only)

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=97&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Do you have the vg transmission? If not, Tiger Japanese sells them for 350 bucks.

Complete RB20DET

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=150&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

so here we have a 300 hp engine that would slide in fairly easily compared to a 215 hp engine and transmission that wouldn't be overly complicated to get it in there, but would be lacking in torque, have 85 less horsepower, and would need more than 300 dollars in upgrades to reach an additional 85 horsepower to even be at the same level as the grunty v6. 300 dollars of which could be used to buy the transmission.

heck you could call them and ask them for a complete engine and trans for the vg and i'd bet it would be somewhere around 1400.

so...

$1200 dollars = 215hp + mounting issues and possibly new driveshaft ($$$) + mods to make 300 hp ($$$)

or...

$1500 = 300hp + virtually no mounting issues + (perhaps a manifold modification or replacement)($$) + stock driveshaft + quite a bit more torque.

I think you could use the same amount of cash with the VG30DET and make near 450 hp then what you would use to make near 350 on an RB20.

had the z32 came with a 160 hp engine, heck i'd be all for it. but in this case the Z32's N/A engine came with what.... 222 hp? i don't find that as an upgrade.

Infact, now that I think of it... I'd try and get a VH45 or a VQ35 and it would cost probably close to the same amount, and you START with 265+ hp.

my $0.02

I'm looking and looking, but hardly anyone has fonr the VQ30DETT swap...in fact the few that I found that were actually complete are the US Z31 engine VQ30ET (I think that's the code) But I do know they are a bitch to work on. My friend owns a Z32 TT and I never like helping him work on it.

For my case, I have a local RB20DET complete with trans, ecu, etc...and the guy said he has a fmic and some misc parts too to go with it. All for $1000..then I figure the $300 Rick Wong motor mounts. The driveshaft is a maybe...we'll see. I'm going to daily drive mine :) Basic Power FC, up the boost, injectors, maybe get a small holset turbo I found for $200.

It would seem the RB has more people that are selling parts to make the swap easier, such as the mounts from Rick Wong, whereas the z32 engine I would have to fab my own mounts (I can't weld)...this makes the RB seem much easier to me. That and more people have done the swap and there's even writeups.

• 1 year later...

careless the Vg30det did not come out of a z32 anywhere. The vg30det is from a cima. I will not fit a z32 with out mods as the intake is in the incorrect position as well as the cross over pipe. the vg30de came in the z31(jdm) and later in the z32

Don't know what the hell I was thinking when I posted that.

Thanks for correcting me. LOL.

careless the Vg30det did not come out of a z32 anywhere. The vg30det is from a cima. I will not fit a z32 with out mods as the intake is in the incorrect position as well as the cross over pipe. the vg30de came in the z31(jdm) and later in the z32

If you want to do an RB swap there is nothing wrong with the RB20 or 25. A couple weeks ago there was an RB20det in a s13 with minimal work on it, I think just a BOV and a couple other little things that was running the SAME power as a BMW 850i V12 ( I think thats the right model number). Both cars put down 220 rwhp. Which doesn't sound like a ton but in perspective, a BMW M3 on the same dyno put down 260 rwhp. The guy was running I believe 11 pounds of boost. I run 10 psi on my RB25det and only made 210hp on 10psi, and I have a ton of bolt ons, however I have yet to tune ! The guy's major complaint with the engine was that he has broken 3 trannies in the car, which shows the transmission's weakness, its really just a KA or SR tranny with a RB bellhousing.

Any how I do not believe you should discount the RB20det it can make great power.

My vote on the VG series is that they are strong engines but awful to work on. Maybe its because Im used to working on a straight six I don't know ...

In the end do whatever you want, it will work out well as long as its thought through.

Cheers

Chris Crombie