HybridZ

Mopar 440, should I?

Gollum

Ok, so apparently a guy I know was gonna sell his dodge truck to the state, and I just found out it has a 440 in it. I told him NOT to sell it as I'm sure I could find him a buyer who would want that engine.

The question is, if I can get it for next to nothing (he might even give it to me, he's a close friend) then should I venture out and do the swap?

I'd need to get a 240Z, and keep the swap down to a minimal cost.

Or should I just let it pass by and let a mopar fan buy it for the sake of the motor?

I was kinda planning on doing a 5.0 swap due it it's light weight and cheap price tag around here. The 440 would definately not be light, but if I can get it for free....

My sig is a wedding, yes. It's just me trying to show an unbiased view towards pretty much all engine swaps. It's why we're all here right? To put pretty much any motor in a Z and make it go fast.

I was just on summit and even going by thier prices (usually not the greatest prices from my experience) I could do heads, intake, carb and cam for well under 2k, which should make for a lethal engine. The heads and intake should lighten the motor by a TON too. I bet it'd still weigh well over 500 pounds though.

• Administrators

Gollum,

The 440 swap is indeed heavy on the nose, manual S-30 steering becomes much heavier than it already is. 440 cubes will roast the tires at will and it has “WOW” factor over the more common V-8 conversions we see. It will require hood modification. If you plan to EFI the 440 and build a custom TPI style low profile, forward facing throttle body manifold, it might be able to clear the stock hood. With Sanderson shorty headers it is a tight fit, but it does fit. For the purpose of WOW factor and it is different, I say go for it. For a street/strip straight liner project, definitely a fun project, do it. For a sports cars project that you want to carve corners with, it is a bit nose heavy, but could be made to still handle respectably, playing with different springs an sway bars, also might consider converting to Power steering.

Mopar 440 with Torqueflite 727 trans, manual shift body in a '77 280-Z…

RightsideofmotorMedium.jpg

440inz3Small.jpg

Yours truly unleashing the torque...

Burn2Medium.jpg

BURNOUTLarge.jpg

The more i think about it I think I'm just gonna find a loving mopar fan for these guys getting rid of the truck with the motor.

I'd rather have a smaller/lighter V8. I don't need 600hp, so why spend the weight on a big block mopar?

Good,that way when i do this it will still be as unusual as before this thread.

Braap,those pics of that car have always been some of my favorites.Until now i never really toyed with the idea cuz i wasnt sure that i could handle being that cool...but now i'm:icon15::icon15::icon15: