HybridZ

Transmission Rattle while deaccelerating?

Thumper

I have the early 5-spd tranny. While i'm slowing down in gear or sometimes when cruising lightely I get a rattle from the transmission. It's not there under load or at idle. I believe it is the input shaft bearing but not sure. Also sometimes it will go away when very warm but its been there constant the last few days. It has gotten worse since I first heard it but it seems to have plateud at this intensity. What do you guys think?

If it is the bearing what kind of job is it to replace. I've done a input shaft seal before but that just involved removing the cover. I think all you need is c-clip plies and you pull the bearing out but not sure if you have to do it from inside the tranny or outside. I might just upgrade to the zx tranny instead. Thanks

Funny you mention that, my trans does the exact same thing.

It got VERY bad after getting home from last SEZ. I have another trans waiting to go in.

In my situation, replacing the input bearing did NOT fix the problem.

It requires a special puller to get it off. I have a z31t trans btw. It reminded me of my z 5 speed though.

Evan

Mine is definitely bearings, but not the input bearing. Its not that big of a deal to have a trans guy swap the input shaft bearing for you. Last time I had it done was for $20 cash.

Evan

If its still making noise when you have the clutch disengaged maybe its something else (not the trans?) making the racket?

I had one that did that actually. Really badly...

Lost 5th on the free way after an 130mph pull.

Lost reverse at the same time (didn't know it).

Then 2nd...

Then 4th...

I think your tranny's days are numbered.

Mine was an early 5 speed too.

Mario

That sounds like the countershaft bearing. The main not backs off. But the tailtale sign i've read is the rattle at idle. And mine doesn't rattle at idle.

Mine is definitely bearings, but not the input bearing. Its not that big of a deal to have a trans guy swap the input shaft bearing for you. Last time I had it done was for $20 cash.

Evan

If its still making noise when you have the clutch disengaged maybe its something else (not the trans?) making the racket?

I wish. I thought it was an exhaust rattle so I took it to my friends shop had it up on the lift and put my ear near the tranny. It is coming from the tranny. Thanks though.

Ok here is the latest. It either just started to rattle at idle or my idle is higher because of a leak in brake booster so its rattling. Also it is slightly worse when its cold. Tranny fluid is topped off. It could be the countershaft bearing but not sure. I thought that was a problem though for only zx trannies not early 5spds?

Dude, it sounds like zx trans time! If you can get a known good working trans you willl be in better shape IMO.

Evan

Everyday except wednesday of last week and tonight i've worked on the dang car for atleast 1-2 hrs. Last 2 weekends all day affairs (10+ hrs) can't I have a break....:sour: I can get a zx for $150 from a jy. They will quantee it works nice when installed other than that hah. I guess i'll be doing it this weekend ontop of my rear poly bushings.

My donor 81 5spd made an awfull growl after I instaled it. but only in 1, 2, 3, 5, and rev. We all thought it was countershaft bearings. I ordered a bearing and seal kit from drivetrain.com for $83. After dissasembly, it turns out that the mainshaft bearing was the worst offender. I took it apart at the shop last night after work, took about an hour being carefull and orginized. Im gonna guess that after cleaning, polishing some damage to the reverse gears, and re-assembly, Ill probably have another 2 hours into it. This is the first manual trans Ive ever had apart. I wouldnt attempt to do the job without access to a good press, and some misc pullers. We had to use heat to get the overdrive gear beraing race off the mainshaft. The rest of it came easy. I thought about finding a JY tranny, and scrapping this one, but after new seals and bearings, and doing a good inspection, I know what Ive got, instead of haveing yet another mystery tranny.