HybridZ

s30 z alarm system

BurnoutZ

I have a CAM201 (car audio masters) alarm unit fitted in my car, Im sure you could find a similar unit over stateside.

Its a 2 point immobiliser alarm and it interfaces directly with the central locking solenoids in each door, and will control a boot popper, that in itself was a bit of a pain to do, as i had to pretty much redesign and rebuild the boot latch assembly with parts form a different car, so i could delete the boot lock, and have the cable and latch on the rear tail light panel, instead of the hatch.

i can either pop the boot with a button in the glovebox, or with the second button on the remote.

the boot hatch switch was a bit of a pain though, had to fab up a small contact switch to work with it, there isnt really anywhere in the rear hatch to mount a pin switch without creating leaks or a potential rust spot, and zed's have enough of those.:evil:

The alarm siren itself is a battery backup unit, with built in shock sensor, mounted in the plenum chamber under the windscreen, for maximum noise.

there is a glass break sensor inside the cabin, and its interfaced into the standard door pin wiring, with a built in courtesy light dimmer and timer.

the whole thing cost me about $220 aus. so in the grand scheme of alarms, a bit over entry level looking at the decent systems.

I can add in a power window lifter module if i want too.

it also has several programmable functions, like auto arming, or silent arm/disarm ect ect.

It keeps the indicators on for 15 seconds after arming or disarming for added illumination in dark areas.

Installation was pretty easy, all the wires are marked with little tabs, but once you have wired it all, and removed the tabs, its a full black wire setup.

took me the better part of a day to do it. the central locking was a bit of a pain, as there is next to no room at all under the door skins, without fouling on the window lifter mechanism.

Definitely look for a black wire system, and the more points of immobilization the better (not gonna tell you where mine are:mrgreen:), check with your insurance too, my premiums are lower now its fitted.

some will interface directly with central locking poppers, some require a standalone central locking module, and just tell it to open or close, the former is better.

I have seen a cheap standalone central locking module that would pop the locks if it was power surged, so ground a wire to the body a few times to surge the power system, and it'd pop the locks open.

make sure you definately get a battery backup siren, mine will go for about 3 hours disconnected from the car (learned the hard way:cry:).

I allways prefer to install my own alarm, as then i can hide things where i want, makes it harder to bypass.

http://autospeed.com/A_107975/cms/article.html

In my opinion alarms are pretty much useless. People seldom pay attention to the noise and the thief only gets a smash and grab like they intended to anyway. The Z, being a vintage car has no value to a thief or a chop shop. All you need is the simple device that you can make yourself.

Simple and effective!

Happy holidays!

T_RX

Many aftermarket ignitions ave an imobilization wire that you could attach to a switch (preferabally not within reach of the driver's seat)

Or just yank the rotor out of your distributor. I do that when I'm downtown.

I don't really have anything on the interior that someone would want to steal...