HybridZ

Is primer necessary when painting over old paint?

280Z Turbo

A buddy of mine says that it's not necessary to use primer when painting over old sanded down paint. I have always assumed that using primer was required when doing paint jobs.

He just wants to use this over the bare metal patches:

rustoleum.jpg

So is it okay to skip primer and put paint right over old sanded paint or is he full of crap?

The car in question is a 1991 Honda CRX, BTW.

Years ago we used to make cash on the side by sanding down cars with bad paint but good bodies, tape them off then wipe it down good with reducer. Had a painter that sprayed it for us, in and out in a day and some of those paint jobs are still around and holding up.

If the paint is in good shape no primer is needed for a quick cheap paint job. Wetsand it with 400, wipe it down with a good wax and grease remover and paint. If the paint is checked, peeling or bubbling you will have to do lots of sanding and a nice coat of primer would be recommended.

I think it's being sanded with grit much coarser than 400. The finest stuff we used is 220.

The paint was in reasonably good shape and I suspect it was the factory finish.

We have done some body work. We welded in some metal patches and bondo-ed over those patches.

I am somewhat afraid of sandmarks showing through, but it's not up to me if we prime it or not.