HybridZ

How to make an RB30det

Noddle

0hhhh'sk00 yo.

there are other sources of information you'd need to do any kind of RB30 build... but that'll get you started.

Best thing to do is have the main parts in hand like the block, the head, and the pumping mechanisms.

From there, the rest is generally machine work and trying to get things to match up. There are a couple of us building them 'round these parts, and there are 2 more that were added to the RB30 list today.

;)

lol i find it eerie how as soon as my two RB30's are off the market, someone else comes and fills the void. I hope you sell them soon to carry your project further :D

RB30's for ALL!

w00t w00t!

*w00t is the official 2007 "word of the year", according to merriam-webster

I read that a looong time ago. But great information for someone who is researching.

Wow, it seems that there are never-ending rb30's now. I looked for, it seemed, forever. Then plop.

Raff,

Good to finally meet you. As soon as I go back to work I will start working on the goodie you let me borrow.

I have the backyard treasure all lubed up and rotating on an engine stand right now. I may do a teardown tomarrow, as long as I can find my plastigage.

How many blocks can you fit on a pallet? What I assume you use to ship them on over from Australia.

you can fit about 6 blocks standing on their flywheels or flex-plates. the pallet will then be enclosed, so it's now a "crate".

it will cost about 300 dollars to make the crate by someone who can get it stamped for shipping approval over in AUS, as far as I've been told.

I saw the crate when I went to go pick up my first engine from the importer, and it looked pretty well built to take all that weight.

One thing that I've found, just by turning over the engines by using a breaker bar is that the engines that had automatic transmissions seem to turn over a bit easier. Probably a sign that the thrust bearing was not abused, and that the transmission was easy going on the entire rotating assembly.

Wow, it seems that there are never-ending rb30's now. I looked for, it seemed, forever. Then plop.

Hahaha, I noticed that too. As soon as I noticed Stealth-Z and S15_200sx, as well as the person who posted a picture of their SOHC in their Z made mention of their RB30's and I came in with the N/A idea... everyone was like

"hmmmm 2.6... or 3?"

Good to finally meet you.

I enjoyed hangin out :-D (don't tell anyone about the pile of rust in my garage) :coollook:

As soon as I go back to work I will start working on the goodie you let me borrow.

Cool, if you could send me another one back, I'll cover whatever costs you say it is (mine and a copy if possible :D). Also, make sure the metal is the same if you have a selection... The unit that it was originally copied from was a lesser material in terms of quality and durability. That one is supposed to be better material. Who knows =)

Lemme know how the plastiguagin' goes. temperature is important!

Here is a bit of U.S.A. shipping information about crates. When I shipped a pallet from Hong Kong, the agent specifically mentioned not to use wood. If it is made out of wood then it must be fumigated / treated or what ever. The agent said to avoid hassles with U.S. Port Authorities and additional expense, use a plastic materials.

After looking at my paperwork on the RB30 block from Australia, I noticed a fee for fumigating the pallet. Now it makes sense why the agent in Hong Kong mentioned using plastic. My block arrived at the Port of Oakland California strapped to a small wood pallet wrapped in plastic.

Here is a bit of U.S.A. shipping information about crates. When I shipped a pallet from Hong Kong, the agent specifically mentioned not to use wood. If it is made out of wood then it must be fumigated / treated or what ever. The agent said to avoid hassles with U.S. Port Authorities and additional expense, use a plastic materials.

After looking at my paperwork on the RB30 block from Australia, I noticed a fee for fumigating the pallet. Now it makes sense why the agent in Hong Kong mentioned using plastic. My block arrived at the Port of Oakland California strapped to a small wood pallet wrapped in plastic.

I think pressure treated wood is usually what they use. Sprayed or soaked in arsenic, so that it cannot be eaten by any rodents or chewed by insects that will call it their home until they settle on North American soil and scurry off to find more stuff to chew on.

That's how the Asian long-horned beetle got here, and is one of the main reasons why just north of Toronto, a lot of trees are just falling apart.

Definately worth getting whatever it is to be sealed properly in a container that is effective at stopping this kind of thing. If not, what they'll do is put it in a closed chamber or a controlled environment, on top of a thick and sturdy steel grate with large holes, and they will smoke or "fumigate" the entire contents until it is purged of all creatures, as Stealth-Z mentioned. The holes in the steel grate cause anything that escapes to fall into a chamber for examination or obliteration. LOL.

I once opened a steel container full of fiberglassed statues in wooden crates, packaged with hay bails and dark brown dirt wrapped in burlap rags.

Not only were there rusty poisonous nails sticking every which way out of these crates, but a weird looking 12 legged spider with two big eyes crawled out of one of the boxes. I ♥♥♥♥ you not, it was like no other insect I had ever seen, and I used to be infatuated with weird looking creatures when I was in grade school. I've seen them all... But this thing..... *shudders*. Granted there were probably dozens or even hundreds more where that came from... probably hiding in the cracks of the fibreglass statues... but I felt safe in squashing that thing with a hammer.

I quit the job just a day after, as I didn't want to be associated with that company anymore because they weren't paying me enough to do this illegitimate importing of said items. Even if it was legit, I ain't waiting to get stung by whatever the ♥♥♥♥ comes out of those crates, not even if it's "just" a rust nail from the middle east.

i was just looking at that site :) thanks again raff, i am plannin on getting mine from jitter this coming weekend after i get paid. Also i found out today that i am getting called back to work on monday so all my money after my bills is going twords the rb30det :D i am gonna be looking for pistons and rods very soon.mmmmwwwwaaaaahahahahahaha :D

i was just looking at that site :) thanks again raff, i am plannin on getting mine from jitter this coming weekend after i get paid. Also i found out today that i am getting called back to work on monday so all my money after my bills is going twords the rb30det :D i am gonna be looking for pistons and rods very soon.mmmmwwwwaaaaahahahahahaha :D

Don't spend all your money so quickly! Leave room for emergencies. I know you're gonna say "I know, I know", but deep down inside, both you and I know we're gonna go spend it anyways. LOL

I showed Rj all my parts that I have so far, but I bet you guys will be way ahead of me by the time I get my RB26. I might look for another RB26 head to start working with if this one doesn't come any time soon.

:icon50:

Don't spend all your money so quickly! Leave room for emergencies. I know you're gonna say "I know, I know", but deep down inside, both you and I know we're gonna go spend it anyways. LOL

I showed Rj all my parts that I have so far, but I bet you guys will be way ahead of me by the time I get my RB26. I might look for another RB26 head to start working with if this one doesn't come any time soon.

:icon50:

lol to late i haven't made the cash yet and it's already spent :D my girlfriend hates the idea of me putting money into my car(no ring for her ;) ) I was excited to get the rb30 and i talked with a buddy who has a t88 greddy turbo that he said if it's good i can have for a cheap price. My girl wasn't happy when i told her i was gettin a new turbo lol well in the end i'll have a sweet ride and a girlfriend or wife or i willhave a really sweet ride and be single LOL