HybridZ

Tried To Return Defective Mallory Unilite

Corzette

I thought Id share this with everyone. Im pissed to say the least. I bought a Mallory Unilite and tried to install today. Took all day because it wasnt getting spark. Put in the old point distributor and it fired right up. I ordered the Petronix upgrade so I hope that will be easy enough.

Anyways, heres what I wrote the company:

"Hello, I have recieved the distributor but it was defective. The ignitor seemed to be defective and would not produce a spark. This is what my mechanic confirmed. We reinstalled the old distributor and all was well. PLease let me know where to send this back to for a refund.

Thanks...

Terry Baldwin"

And his reply:

"There is not a refund and what likely happened is that somehow during install the module was damaged.

What we can do is replace the module under Mallory's warranty. You would need to remove the module, send it in for testing/replacement. There are two screws that hold the module in place, and then just use a small screwdriver or other device to retract the barbs (one for each wire) that go into the nylon harness connector plug. Light push each wire into the plug, use the screwdriver in the opposite side (connector site) and gently push against the barb and then the wire(s) can be pulled out of the plug.

You may also contact Mallory regarding warranty at (216) 688-8300

Best Regards,

Sales & Technical Support Staff

Century Performance Center, Inc.

http://www.centuryperformance.com

ph. (775) 746-4887

fax (702) 953-0705

I told them I wasnt going to start disassebmling this thing and cause more damage so I told them I would send back the entire distributor for repair. I am waiting on thier reply. Im starting to hate Mallory cause I know itll be a long time before I get it back. I hope the Petronix works better and I hope its not to hard to hook up a MSD 6A to it. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in. I was wondering where the two wires will exit when installing since there doesnt appear to be a hole in the housing to pull them through.

Thanks for reading!!!

Terry

What model is it?

Its the new Unilite model they have out there...I believe the 9000 series? The box is in my car....what ever the brand new Unilite is, it was about 400 bucks. Im not saying its not good to use these but I am frustrated that mine was defective and now can't get my money back. $200 and anyone can have it. Buy the new ignitor and its gold or send it in to Mallory for warranty. If no one wonts it Ill send it in for repair.....

Terry