HybridZ

SBC T56 questions

I've been trying to search first, but it might be a bolt in type thing, so it doesn't need to be modified. I'm getting a 350 from a co-worker, where still negotiating a price, but I think its gonna be around the 250-350 range. I also found an LT1 T56 combo for 350, one of my buddies has called shotgun on that, but luckily he's using an automatic. So where splitting the cost, so 175 for that. "I think the motor had problems, but he plans to build it, and I'm gonna get the trans rebuilt)

My questions are, what is needed to do a T56 swap onto a late-80's SBC? Do I need to find a specific bell housing, or would the LT1 T56 bell housing work? And I'm also looking to find an aluminum flywheel, and I keep running into diffrent teeth patterns, what tooth count do I need?

There are some good threads on this already, the T56 from a LT1 motor will bolt right up, you need to use the LT1 flywheel so if your motor is an 86 or later one piece rear main seal you are good to go with the LT1 flywheel clutch and pressure plate. If it is a stroker with a 400 crank then that is a different story. Good score on that T56

Search some more this has been done.

Greg

Could I swing by sometime and check it out, just to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. I've seen a few T5 smallblock Z's in real life, but I'd like to check out a T56 one to get an idea of what kind of "modifications" my tranny tunnel is gonna need and such. Give me a call if you wanna meet up sometime, I'm free tonight and most nights this weekend 804-814-2264

Been looking at this site and JTR, maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing though. I can't seem to find what k-member and mount to use for the T56, the only T56 thing I see is tailshaft modifications. Do I need to get this done, or is that for something completly different. It said its for speedometer readings and such. Is this for LS1 T56? Do I use a standard T5 tranny mount?

If you do a search there are lots of mounting options for the T56. I didn't like the JTR one as it seemed wimpy to me but lots of people have used it with no problem.

I had a friend of mine make one of the mounts another member here made and was nice enough to supply drawings.

I attached the drawing and a pic of the mount the member installed.

I have pics at home of my mount but not here at work.

I also show a picture of what I removed from the tunnel to fit the T56, it is tight on the passenger side and I trimmed off the ears on the T56 around the back-up light sender and had to dimple the tunnel a little up top in the area of the trans tunnel on the passenger side just about where the trans bolts to the engine block. The shifter sits perfectly in the shifter hole.

If I find more pics I will post them soon but some are already in my gallery

Thanks,

Greg

280Z_T56_XMEMBER.pdf

DSCN1452_thumb.JPG

xm1_thumb.jpg