HybridZ

Pacific NW, I need a 74 or older S30 rolling chassis

Anyone in the pacific northwest having a rolling chassis without rust issues that they would like to sell me? I'm in Portland, Or. I'm looking for a chassis to turn into a street strip car. I'm planning on putting my 2JZ power plant backed by a GM TH400 in a Pre 75 S30. I was going to put it into my 280z, but it is my daily driver. I'm going to be really pushing the envelope with this build. I'm looking at making 1050WHP thru the TH400, and running 8.50's on radials in the 1/4 mile.

Please contact me if you have a pre 75 S30 chassis for sale. It doesn't need to have a motor. I would like it to include a straight and fairly rust free chassis, doors, hood, and hatch. Beyond that I'm not picky.

Thanks for your Help!!!

Here is my 77 280z with the turbo I'm using with the supra motor. :-)

dsc00715fp1.jpg

Best Regards,

Justin Olson

Well I went and looked at this car out in Oregon City today:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/car/538228453.html

I was hopeful when I saw the add because clearly its not a 280z. I figured it was a 74 260z. Well I get there and start looking it over. Its a 240z clearly. 240z tails lights/ bumpers ect. I go and look at the drivers side door jam. It has a build date of 6/76. WTF??? I'm really confused at this point. I continue to look the car over and talk to the guy selling it. He then tells me he doesn't have a title but a bill of sale. He shows me a insurance slip from the previous owner. It was registered as a 76 280z. From what I can tell someone along the way swapped the VIN plate in the door. I'm not sure what to do. The car has a fairly clean body with some bondo from when it was resprayed. The interior is trashed and the floor boards are rusted. I have pictures for those that might be interested. I'm thinking I might just buy the car and find a VIN plate from a shell that has a title. Reswap it over and register it as a 240z and go from there. mmm, what to do :) I guess I ought to just pass this one bye and avoid any trouble down the road with the titling and registration.

Anyway, if you guys have any other leads please let me know.

Regards,

Justin

• Administrators

Justin. The VIN for the "shell/car" is stamped into the firewall, easy to find. Don't forget the dash VIN as well. My guess is if the car is a 240, tagged as a 280, it was/is a stolen 240. Write down the VIN that is stamped on the firewall and verify it as “clean” with the DMV. If the current owner gets suspicious about your writing the firewall VIN down, just thank him for his time and go straight to the authorities and alert them of this situation. If it is indeed a "HOT" Z, I’m sure its owner would be pleased to have it returned.

Mmmm, Well maybe I will go look at it again and get the VIN number off of the firewall/dash. I wish I would have just checked when I was looking at it as its about 35 miles away from my place in hillsboro. Maybe I could have the guy look at the VIN number as he seemed pretty oblivious to what it was.

The more I think about it, the more this sounds like a stolen car then anything else. He has no title, and just seems to have paperwork that was in the car. The guy seemed really layed back about it. Maybe he has no idea. He said he just bought the car from a friend and its been sitting for 6 months at the apartment.

Maybe we could get John Kurzhals to check out the car as he lives out in Oregon City.

The car is located at:

595 May St, Oregon City, OR 97045

Its located in the upper left part of the Oregon City Terrace Apartment loop.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=595+May+St,+Oregon+City,+OR+97045&sll=45.51775,-122.81364&sspn=0.006976,0.014377&ie=UTF8&ll=45.341166,-122.596908&spn=0.006998,0.014377&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=0

Justin

Mmmm, Well maybe I will go look at it again and get the VIN number off of the firewall/dash. I wish I would have just checked when I was looking at it as its about 35 miles away from my place in hillsboro. Maybe I could have the guy look at the VIN number as he seemed pretty oblivious to what it was.

The more I think about it, the more this sounds like a stolen car then anything else. He has no title, and just seems to have paperwork that was in the car. The guy seemed really layed back about it. Maybe he has no idea. He said he just bought the car from a friend and its been sitting for 6 months at the apartment.

Maybe we could get John Kurzhals to check out the car as he lives out in Oregon City.

The car is located at:

595 May St, Oregon City, OR 97045

Its located in the upper left part of the Oregon City Terrace Apartment loop.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=595+May+St,+Oregon+City,+OR+97045&sll=45.51775,-122.81364&sspn=0.006976,0.014377&ie=UTF8&ll=45.341166,-122.596908&spn=0.006998,0.014377&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=0

Justin

I'll check it out tomorrow if I get time. Sounds a bit shady to me... :icon53: If the VIN's match and the DMV see's no issue I'd definitely low ball him.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't waste your time!! You're asking for nothing but headaches with a fishy situation like that. I had to deal with a 'funny' registrtion issue with my shell in CA, and it was a HASSLE. I used to live in OR for a brief period [too damn much rain], and I know that the DMV was really loose there; but, there are just too many cars out there to bother with this one.

Why is it that you are so concerned with rust when you will need to do MAJOR, MAJOR fabrication for your "1000hp" build? My Granny [rest her soul] used to have a saying "Gag at a gnat and swallow a camel". If that isn't clear to you, PM me.. ;~)

• 2 weeks later...

my Z is confusing me. The guy sold it to me as a 77 but it was a 78 on the title, and the title didn't match the VIN on the car which is in the 240,000 range but the vin on the title is around 424,000 which corresponds to 78... i'm starting to think the car might be a 75 or 76, but is there any way to really tell lol. The rear bumper holes match up to those on my 75Z dunno if the bumper mount changed in 77 78 models

ok i'm thinking i solved my own question it must be a 75.... cause this is Dave's car and it's a later 280Z and notice the bumper mounts

l_bbb25236fda8940d9f9509ea3dd755c0.jpg

here are the bumper mount holes on my 280z and they match the holes on my 75 280z i owned before

2992748_2_full.jpg

VS

old car rear

2hgtx6f.jpg

sound right? just irritating and confusing as I need to make sure my registration and insurance are gonna be fine switching to a different VIN code lol (one on body, not title)

my Z is confusing me. The guy sold it to me as a 77 but it was a 78 on the title, and the title didn't match the VIN on the car which is in the 240,000 range but the vin on the title is around 424,000 which corresponds to 78... i'm starting to think the car might be a 75 or 76, but is there any way to really tell lol. The rear bumper holes match up to those on my 75Z dunno if the bumper mount changed in 77 78 models

ok i'm thinking i solved my own question it must be a 75.... cause this is Dave's car and it's a later 280Z and notice the bumper mounts

here are the bumper mount holes on my 280z and they match the holes on my 75 280z i owned before

VS

old car rear

sound right? just irritating and confusing as I need to make sure my registration and insurance are gonna be fine switching to a different VIN code lol (one on body, not title)

the 77/78 280z's locks are different than the 75/76 280z's. i believe the later 280z's lock pulls (i think they're called) were a few inches more toward the front than the earlier models.

the rear hatch area is also different on the 77/78 models than previous S30's. my 76 has a full spare tire well, while my parents 78 has this tiny, shallow tire well, and, some kind of wood hatch floor. i dont know what its made of to be honest. im fairly sure all 77/78 S30s has the space saver spare tire.