HybridZ

Head and Cam packages

Guys,

I have been thinking about doing a little tweaking to the engine. I have an ls1, and I want brute power out of it. I have seen packages ranging from 3000$ to 9000$. What package would you guys recomend and why?

I would like a car that has good reliability, as I am sure I am going to scrap my commuter once the z is running. And, I would also like to have a reptile killer (viper, cobra). So, you get my point, I love scary fast cars.

I have also looked at superchargers. I am not a turbo man though. Yeah they might be more efficient, blah, blah, blah. But, I like instant throttle response. >:)

IT might help if you gave SOME idea as to the engine your useing, the drivetrain its mounted too, your skill level and budget and your horsepower goals here! ETC.ETC.

if you just want a KILLER ENGINE PACKAGE to INSTALL...

http://www.ohiocrank.com/enginekits.html

620 Super Class Complete Motor

This is a special project for the Super class, and serious bracket racer, that needs power and torque, but also has to make rounds all day without motor maintenance. This engine now makes 900 HP at 6400 RPM with 830 lb. ft. of torque at 4800 running 33 degrees of timing. The cam lift is only .748 and the rockers are Jesel shaft mount. No need to check valve springs and lash between rounds.

Engines are built with Merlin III blocks, Brodix BB3X, or Dart 345 heads, a Profler intake, Ohio Crankshaft fully center counterweighted 4340 crank, H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts, Canton pan, Comp cam, Felpro gaskets, and Melling oil system.

Every component is available off the shelf, the bore size will allow two rebores, and the compression is 14.3:1 which does not require the ultra expensive gas, or could be run on alcohol. The Best part is the price at $9995, less carb, ignition and valve covers, this is a really great deal.

Complete engine

$9995

you already have a LS1 in your car? if so proceed to option #1. if not skip #1 and go to option #2

Option #1. big cam. i have a LS1 Camaro auto with a 240/242 .6/.610 on 110 LSA. love it. with stock heads, stock intake, headers, yank 4000 stall and drag radials i ran a 11.7 @114 estimated around 390rwhp through auto. now after you have a big cam (about $1000 to do it right) if on a budget stock 243 casting (LS6/2 corvette heads) give a bump in compression and flow better. can be had for $500 new. step up from that is ported 243s from patriot performance, these run in the $1200 range. above that you have to step up to trick flow or other aftermarket heads, very pricey.. in the $2500 range. with a big cam only you would have around 450-500 crank. with big cam and 243s you would have over 550 crank hp. with a big cam and ported 243s you would have close to 600 crank. with a big cam and trick flows you could have 650-700crank.

Option #2 (the best) start out with a 6.0 cast truck motor. i can get complete motors with harness and computer for $1200 and then on up, im sure you can find them for the same. with just a big cam in a motor like that you would be in the 550 crank hp range, the 317 heads on these motors are simliar to the 243s but they just have a larger combustion chamber which lowers the compression. now where the 6.0 really shines is that for $1000 you can get ported L92 heads that with a cam would make close to 700 crank hp...

there are tons of options about what you can do.. my prefrence is to go with a 6.0 with L92 heads, big cam and a single plane carb intake with injectors and a big throttle body. this would make the most hp for the cheapest price. LS1tech.com is your best source for LSx information.

you already have a LS1 in your car? if so proceed to option #1. if not skip #1 and go to option #2

Option #1. big cam. i have a LS1 Camaro auto with a 240/242 .6/.610 on 110 LSA. love it. with stock heads, stock intake, headers, yank 4000 stall and drag radials i ran a 11.7 @114 estimated around 390rwhp through auto. now after you have a big cam (about $1000 to do it right) if on a budget stock 243 casting (LS6/2 corvette heads) give a bump in compression and flow better. can be had for $500 new. step up from that is ported 243s from patriot performance, these run in the $1200 range. above that you have to step up to trick flow or other aftermarket heads, very pricey.. in the $2500 range. with a big cam only you would have around 450-500 crank. with big cam and 243s you would have over 550 crank hp. with a big cam and ported 243s you would have close to 600 crank. with a big cam and trick flows you could have 650-700crank.

Option #2 (the best) start out with a 6.0 cast truck motor. i can get complete motors with harness and computer for $1200 and then on up, im sure you can find them for the same. with just a big cam in a motor like that you would be in the 550 crank hp range, the 317 heads on these motors are simliar to the 243s but they just have a larger combustion chamber which lowers the compression. now where the 6.0 really shines is that for $1000 you can get ported L92 heads that with a cam would make close to 700 crank hp...

there are tons of options about what you can do.. my prefrence is to go with a 6.0 with L92 heads, big cam and a single plane carb intake with injectors and a big throttle body. this would make the most hp for the cheapest price. LS1tech.com is your best source for LSx information.

I thought the 6.0 with L92 heads and a big cam made around 550 fwhp - I wouldn't think the intake and throttle body would pick up an extra 150fwhp. Hell, if you're making 700fwhp off just heads and cam I might as well sell my whipple and go that route, since that's more than what people are making with a head/cam whipple-charged 6.0. I've found one person that's put down a little over 500rwhp with his whipple, and it took him a lot to get to that point. I think that same setup with a t56 in my 280z would make better numbers since the 4l80 seems to rob quite a bit, and I wouldn't be running a couple of the accessories, but still...do you have links where people are making these huge numbers?

I thought the 6.0 with L92 heads and a big cam made around 550 fwhp - I wouldn't think the intake and throttle body would pick up an extra 150fwhp. Hell, if you're making 700fwhp off just heads and cam I might as well sell my whipple and go that route, since that's more than what people are making with a head/cam whipple-charged 6.0. I've found one person that's put down a little over 500rwhp with his whipple, and it took him a lot to get to that point. I think that same setup with a t56 in my 280z would make better numbers since the 4l80 seems to rob quite a bit, and I wouldn't be running a couple of the accessories, but still...do you have links where people are making these huge numbers?

i dont know of anyone who is making 550Fwhp... that would be one crazy front wheel drive Impala, Monte or GXP Grand Prix. :burnout:

you are forgetting that there is a HUGE diffrence between whp and crank hp.. drive train loss on an auto is about 25% so if you make 700 crank hp.. through an auto that is 525rwhp. L92 headed 6.0s with cams are well in this territory..

Hot Rod Magazine has a COMPLETE write up on the 6.0 truck engine.

I highly reccomend people to get it.

Just bolting on L92 heads, L76 intake and headers, it made something like 440 FWHP, which is insane for just that. Cam numbers would be crazzzzy.

Just buying heads, cam, intake, and throttle body sounds like a plan :P

heads need milled. the compression on that motor would be like 8:1 or lower.

also a non baby cam helps. and im sure the carb set up robs hp. look on LS1 tech. there was a guy who took a LS2 with stock L92 heads and L76 intake with a good cam he put down over 550rwhp