HybridZ

rb26 upgaded turbos

abes

I have this guy who's selling me a pair garrett turbos for about $1200.

My question to you guys is do I really need them??? They're T28s. They have super 60 trim compressor wheels with t28-79 trim turbine wheels and standard bearings.They're fresh out of the oven so it sound like a good deal. I want to make about 450 to the wheels but streetable. This is not going to be a track car, just a weekender. He's telling me there good for up to about 700hp....

What do you guys think.................

Sounds like they are high mount twins and will not bolt up to the factory manifolds. Also, being that large, they are probably going to be laggy as hell. Throw a set of these on there.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2860R_707160_7.htm

They will probably exceed your power goals and your spool time won't be much more than stock.

I stand corrected. The "super 60 trim compressor wheels" threw me off a bit. The only problem i see is one of the turbos has the two bolt outlet on the compressor side and the other does not. Might be a problem if you try to hook it up to the factory charge pipe. These will definetly put out more than 450hp.

He told me they're both identical. He cut the flange, and polished one but never got a chance to do the other. He said that he cut the flange because he wanted to run custom intercooler piping. Supposedly, they should bolt right up.

Do you think they'll have more lag than the gt2860r-5's??

A pair run about $1600 plus or minus correct??

Those are Nismo N1 turbos. If they are bushing then they are R32. These are more or less comperable to HKS 2530's, but without the bearings. They will put down 600hp. I would spend another $300 and just get the 2530's though as $1200 for non-bearing used Nismo units seems a bit high. I would offer him no more than $800 for the pair personally. And only if they are very tight.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed my stock twins for some garrett gt28's. They spool up a lot faster than the stock t25's now that they"re ball bearing. Haven't dinoed yet but was making 350 before. I'm sure I'll do better than that now before I run out of fuel. (stock injectors for now)