HybridZ

Newest member of the broken half shaft club

Dragonfly

Well I went out to RaceLegal to see how the 4.37:1 gears would do... I spent a lot of time spinning tires out of the hole which was killing my times. Most of my 60' times were in the 2.4 to 2.8 second range with a few 1.9's mixed in. They had worked on the track quite a bit trying to get the traction better and finaly they announced that cars were begining to hook up, so I got back in line for another run. Boy did it hook up, for about 20' I was hooked harder than I have ever hooked the Z before then bam clank... clank... clank... the drivers side universal joint turned into a handgrenade.

I will see if I can get some carnage pictures up tommorow. I have in the past pulled a 1.7xx 60' time and this one felt like it was going to be better than that.

Dragonfly

Sorry that happened, however, your write up made me laugh a little. Way to stay positive. So are you planning an upgrade, if so what??

I am going to do a quick fix right now with a new universal joint but I will be upgrading to some ZRaceProducts CV joints real soon. I personaly look at as a right of passage but my wife doesn't see it that way which is why I am doing a quick fix to appease her for the time being.

Dragonfly

My wife wants me to work on my car because "I deseve it". Of course since I've do not spend money or time on my ZX, I figure "I deseve it" will come quickly to a end when I start. hehe.

LOL! Your wife and my wife must be best friends!

Dragonfly, I left just after your first set of runs, so I missed the carnage. Man, I'm sorry to see that. As a fellow member of the Keep Her Happy club, I think you are wise to bounce the car right back into drivable condition.

Oh honey, this is just one of those things that happen when you race a car. A little afternoon fix and it's better than new!

You were getting a lot of enthusiastic commentary from the announcer, so it was fun to watch you represent for the Z's. While it is a bummer to break a part, on the other hand there is a portion of me that cackles, "Muahahaaaa! The absolute POWER!" Congrats on putting it down the axle - it sounds like very soon you'll be putting it to the pavement. :)

Well as seen in the first of the pictures the carnage is not realy that bad. I was lucky and it was the inside u-joint that died. Below is a picture of the damage that was done to my ZRaceProducts LCA's.

S1010002-1.jpg

Yep, I knocked some of the powder coating off.

Here is a close up of the broken U-joint.

S1010005-1.jpg

This pic is a close up of the piece that broke off, you can see the discoloration from the heat that was generated when it broke.

S1010012.jpg

And of course the last picture here is to show that I actualy did more damage than I thought.

S1010014.jpg

I seems I may have twisted the end of the halfshaft a little so now I have to put my ugly old spare halfshaft in there for the time being.

I managed to manipulate the wife a little by showing all this to her and getting her to ask me what makes me think it won't just happen again. I explained to her that it will happen again unless I upgrade to CV axles... I got her, she has now given her consent.

Dragonfly