HybridZ

How the heck do I remove the tie rod?

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Anonymous

Which part are you having trouble with? If it is the part that attaches to the steering nuckle, you need a tie rod tool (pickle fork). A few blows with a big hammer and this tool will usually pop it off. If it is the jam nut on the part toward the center of the car, one side, I believe the drivers side, has reversed threads so turn to the right to loosen. Mark

If you dont want to kill the boot I would recomend a BFH and hammer away on the knuckle, NOT THE PIN. after a few good hits it should pop loose. I pull several lower ball joints like this EVERY DAY. It takes a healthy swing, you are tring to vibrate the joint apart. If you can but tension on the joint it WILL help. Keith

I use two large ball pien hammers. I position the face of one hammer on the side of the "eye" that the joint stud goes through. Then I hit the back of one hammer with the other. This causes just enough flex in the eye for the tie rod to fall out.

The idea of the first hammer being held stationary is to transmit the force in a specific area. Also, hitting the first with the second reduces the chance of missing and hitting something unnintended.

I`ve been doing it this way for 10yrs and it never fails. The key is,two BFH`s ;)

i let em soak in pb blaster over night, and its still pretty tough sometimes, 2lb sledge is what i personally use when the going gets tough, last time i did tie rods and i had to do a pushup on the drivers side to get it break, and i was suspended in the air by that bolt for about 15 seconds, BUT I WON.