HybridZ

How strong is the R230?

JustinOlson

Just figured I'd post this video. This is a S14 240sx drag car that is using a R230 differential. This just made me completely convinced that I will be not tubing my 2JZ drag car. This car is a 3.4L 2JZ with a 88mm turbo backed by a power glide. I believe it weighs 2950 lbs with driver.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/ainoble/IFO%20Baytown/?action=view&current=Duys240.flv

More info from Supraforums:

not much better than before, but it was our only pass today..track was cold and car skated down the track..

no changes to setup since last time except for 11.5 inch slicks and cold ass weather (cold for us, i think it was in the 50s with some wind)

1.33 60'

5.2@139mph in the 1/8th

8.1@171mph in the 1/4

thanks again BL/PM/TC for building me a bad ass motor!!

and Jason for some badass driving and Matt for getting the car ready for the track.

this is the only video i found so far..should have a better one soon...since the BL crew was not there, we dont have some HD videos for you guys..lol

Details:

The car has mostly parts i got from BL..

im using a BL manifold (T4), 4 inch DP, with a 88mm compressor, (1) 44mm Tial watsegate, BL fuel system, BL hyrbid torque converter, an old Keith Ta custom intake with stock runners...

Im very happy with the consistency of this car so far..i know it has so much more in it..i know everyone say that, but its true..i still need to go with a straight T6 and a better custom intake from BL..also the car has another 5 psi of boost to go before we even think about spraying it down the track..

The r230's are plenty strong, the great thing about them is the large axle shafts. A lot of people including myself were going through axles just about every track visit. (Stock 240sx r200 6 bolt axles). That is why I chose the r200 Q45 diff for my s-13. You get the large axles from the Q/Z32tt and the versatility of the r200 R/P. This setup has gone low 9's many times from a few different people. So I figured that was good enough for me I doubt i will dip into the 9's but maybe. R230 or Q45 r200 are the way to go for the 240sx, they are cheap junkyard setups.

The r230's are plenty strong, the great thing about them is the large axle shafts. A lot of people including myself were going through axles just about every track visit. (Stock 240sx r200 6 bolt axles). That is why I chose the r200 Q45 diff for my s-13. You get the large axles from the Q/Z32tt and the versatility of the r200 R/P. This setup has gone low 9's many times from a few different people. So I figured that was good enough for me I doubt i will dip into the 9's but maybe. R230 or Q45 r200 are the way to go for the 240sx, they are cheap junkyard setups.

What other diffs/ ring and pinions can you use with the q45 diff? is there a quafie available for the q45?

What other diffs/ ring and pinions can you use with the q45 diff? is there a quafie available for the q45?

It is just your basic r200 with abs. Any r200 abs ring and pinion will swap into it as well as the aftermarket units. They must be abs units though.

And Duys car has always been bada$$ even when he had a KA-T in the car.