HybridZ

should i swap

260zjade

what do you guys think. i have a 1974 260z with a stock carburetor motor and theres a 1977 280zx up the street for 700 obo (i figure 500 cash). Guys neighbor says the car is driven often and runs well, but the body looks like a junker (good thing i dont need it). Ive been yearning for some FI to replace those pesky carburetors, but i understand its tough to convert a car to FI. Anyone have any advice/opinions on whether or not i should start a swap? My plan would be just to make it run in my z in the begging, and then a little down the road id begin dumping money into it to make it a hyrbrid Z!! Thanks for your input in advance!

To bad you don't live in North Carolina.

I have an L28 fuel injected with turbo that has 10k miles on it.

Took it out to put in the RB . Couldn't resist. It also needs some tranny work. Linkage adjustment or bad syncs. Comes with additional 4 speed that works fine. Not sure. You can see it on craigs list for raleigh nc.

Shipping would cost too much.

To bad you don't live in North Carolina.

I have an L28 fuel injected with turbo that has 10k miles on it.

Took it out to put in the RB . Couldn't resist. It also needs some tranny work. Linkage adjustment or bad syncs. Comes with additional 4 speed that works fine. Not sure. You can see it on craigs list for raleigh nc.

Shipping would cost too much.

would you be willing to part with all the turbo goods?

It shouldn't be to hard to swap in the EFI stuff. The fuel injection harness is a whole separate harness from the rest of the car. Carefully remove it all in one piece. It hooks to the battery with a hot and ground to feed the ECU. Save the ECU, stepping resistors and AFM (including the bracket that it mounts on). You'll probably have to use the thermostat housing off the EFI car so you have the thermotime and watertemp sensors. And under the dash the harness hooks to the ignition module for RPMs. (automatics also have a WOT switch on the gas pedal)

Most guys wanna go the opposite way... swap thier EFI for carbs, and I usually try to talk them out of it. The stock EFI is a great system, simple and efficient.

what do you guys think. i have a 1974 260z with a stock carburetor motor and theres a 1977 280zx up the street for 700 obo (i figure 500 cash). Guys neighbor says the car is driven often and runs well, but the body looks like a junker (good thing i dont need it). Ive been yearning for some FI to replace those pesky carburetors, but i understand its tough to convert a car to FI. Anyone have any advice/opinions on whether or not i should start a swap? My plan would be just to make it run in my z in the begging, and then a little down the road id begin dumping money into it to make it a hyrbrid Z!! Thanks for your input in advance!

You have the Flat top or round top carbs? If flat, why not upgrade to the round. You can find deals on ebay from time to time. I got my last set for $51.00 for everything.

i figured my l26 motor wouldnt go for much, but theres not much power opportunity left in it. I have roundtop carbs and a cam, but the adjustments are bothersome, so i was thinking "go l28". I decided against buying the car for now due to a slight lack of space, but thanks for the advice guys!

...snip... and theres a 1977 280zx up the street for 700 obo (i figure 500 cash). ...snip...

Not to be too picky, but I have never heard of a '77 ZX. Is it a 77 with a previously swapped ZX motor/wiring? If I were you, I would buy that beater just on principal. And, if it's a 5 speed, you are that much more better off!

I plan on dropping an 81 ZX motor/tranny in my 71. I haven't quite decided on keeping the EFI or staying with ZTherapy carbs.