HybridZ

gm 10bolt

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone sucessfully installed an 8.5 gm 10 bolt

with a 4 link or trailing arm setup in a 72 240z On spray the motor makes close to 600hp and 650ft#. Im down to the last of my project(rearend)

and am ready to go SUPRA HUNTING. Any information will helpful. By the way, this is not a drag car,but more for open road 100+mph

:D

The 10 bolt will snap if you are ever aiming at getting traction. I just shredded my 10 bolt that was in the 4x4 I have and I was running a mild bigblock 454. A ford 9 inch would be easy to find and a stronger swap. I am pretty sure no one here has gone with the 10 bolt chev. cheers.gif

Not true. Unfair to compare a street use (or even drag strip) to an offroad use. I've broken more than my fair share of 12 bolts in my Jimmy... But you will have to upgrade some parts. Axles for sure. If you are going to narrow for a Z, get an Eaton 30 spline posi. Pair of axles can be had for less than $300 from Moser or Dutchman. Weight is the biggest killer to the rear axle assembly. The light weight of a powerful Z is much easier on parts than a 3500# Camaro or a 5500# 4x4 for sure.

I built an 8.5" 10 bolt for my buddies 68 Firebird. Runs 10.27 at 130 on the motor. Had over 300 passes on the 4.10 that were in it (admittedly, 33 spline spool and axles really toughen things up...) Put 3.73 in it and it did blow up, but that was ancillary. Broken u-joint at the 1/8 mile took it out.

Got another friend with a nitrous breathing '76 Trans Am that has several hundred passes on his 10 bolt in the low to mid 10's as well.

I built another for my neighbors 93 S-10 with 427 small block. Had his father-in-laws machine shop make us a jig. Still not driving, however. It has been narrowed 3" per side, using an Eaton Posi, 3.73 Motiv geats, and Moser axles.

9" Ford is no stronger than anything else in STOCK configuration. And the location of the pinion and size of the center make it a tough swap in spatially challenged vehicles. I really like the 8.5" 10 bolt for a performance axle. At least in a car...

Drewz, Get yourself a semi-floater 14 bolt for your truck (late 80's through early 90's). They came in "light duty" 2500 trucks. ID by their 6 lug axles.

I have a full floater rear Dana 60 I'm toying with for the Jimmy, but will require switching to 8 lug setup in the front, which will require new wheels and tires. Ouch. Maybe once I'm working... I'll do the semi-floater 14 bolt in mine if (make that when) the 12 bolt grenades again.

Actually I am running the full floater 10.5 inch ring and dana 60 front now. I was talking about a stock 10 bolt. Any diff with high grade axle and center section is gonna be nice but bang for the buck I prefer the 9" unless you are upgrading. Mike don't be a wuss,hehehe, 8 bolt is the only way to go so DO IT!!!!! hahaha. If you don't mind upgrading the 10 bolt than you are okay. If you want bang for your dollar than a stock narrowed 9" would be my preference. IMO!! cheers.gif

P.S. I should take some pics of the detroit locker that is trashed from the 10 bolt sitting out back. Cracked all 4 pins and the housing. I guess 36"swampers, big block and a lockes is a bit much???hahaha burnout.gifburnout.gif

Originally posted by Drewz:

I guess 36"swampers, big block and a lockes is a bit much???

Those big arse wheel/tires aren't going to help yeah ;)

As for a street car, if your not dragging it I think it should be fine. The lame 7.5" stuff in the 4th gen cars works fine with 17x11"s under most circumstances, its drag racing that kills them.

for my money i`d use a 8.5 gm rear over anything else. I think 12 bolts are very over rated seems they always blow out!!! while the 8.5 will take anything you can hand it!!!. Like mike c pointed out alot of cars are running good numbers with them. I only know chevy so I won`t comment on the fords rear but i do like the center section idea!

Other chevy myths that are proven wrong over time...

4 boltmain 350`s are stronger than 2 bolts....nope webs crack

turbo400`s are stronger than turbo350`s ....nope T350`s far stronger and less power to turn ...powerglides are just as strong also!!!

mark

afterthought...stay away from pontiac and buick 10 bolts 8.5 they are very weak don`t really understanbd why since both makes put out high tq/hp numbers...they have a differnt cover than the chevy.