HybridZ

debating the swapro & cons

stprasinz

Ok well lets start where we are now (why not the begining, because it already happened)

Well I'm debating swapping a rb20det in place of my l28.. Why the 20? mostly the cost (well ok only the cost). I would love to keep the l28, but I burnt my head badly(as in little wholes in a combustion chamber and it looks like white hollowed rocks???).

So do I get another p90 and go from there? 250 for the head, 250 for machining... so theres 500 more in this motor.. (and how much for gaskets)

So if I do that there goes 500. I do that and get megasquirt, and either an electric exhust dump, or electric h20 pump... And I am pretty much broke.....

If I buy the rb.. I buy the rb, sell al the parts from my l28,(valves, cam, valve springs, motorsports racing oil pump, n42 intake, ecu harness injectors, pistons, act clutch, fidanza aluminum fly....... etc) and dump this money into the rb20 for things like header, timing belt, cam gears, the basics. and bring this rb to the power level my l28 was at (and be able to add everything that was on like meth inj and the likes) and have a car that has as much power with more throttle response (lets face it a 280zxt stock ecu isn't exactly race oreiented) and probably alot more reliablity... for the same amount (after my rumage sale) as I would doing the l28 1 step farther.... Oh and I also have a 300zx turbo ecu, harness Ill be selling along with injectors. etc whole 9 yards... anyone looking for an 89 camaro 5 speed v8??? lol 1000 runs drives awsome car good rubber all 4 corners.... and with that said and done I would also be able to sell the turbo, and dump pipe etc off the rb... (keeping the turbonetics...)

So basicly here are my options

l28 with current mods + megasquirt+ either electric h20, or dump out+ (almost forgot I thought I forgot something) upgraded alternator

Or rb20det + header + my turbonetics + cam gears + installation (driveshaft) (custom motor mounts) + whatever else I can afford, depending on how sales go may even be another 500..... ARP headstuds, comotec head gasket, clear timing cover.......

So let me know what you think.... give it all to me the good the bad the ugly (oh and the oooh so sexy jdm bling).......

Thats where the whole 1200$ cheaper comes into play. I figure I can get the rb20 put it in, and get a few parts to bump up the performance and then next year I will be able to buy the rb25 and swap all the parts from this engine to that one.. alot simplier to swap it if its already there.. I mean don't get me wrong if I sell my camaro before I buy the swap I'm going rb25.. but thats doubtful....

But the whole deal is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well I almost forgot there is also the 13b (rotory) swap... I could get a tuebo rotory swap it in with a turbo header and when I sell a few more things megasquirt that and go from there and hope it doesn't blow.....

Thats one of the things thats leaning me away the rotory is I don't know of anyone with any experience with a rotory and imagine after shipping it out it could cost some money to send it out and wait for it.. etc if it did blow up... As in it might be cheaper to buy another....

So come on guys you have to have some sort of input...

The RB20 is actually a Low HP motor. I would upgrade to an RB25 as it has a better hp and torque Curve.

I agree, everyone i know that has rb20det's hate them, the rb25det is a better swap. You can pick one up for around 2500 bucks. and you have 250hp on tap at like 7lbs of boost if im right. The engine is a beast as well. I have a friend that has one in his s30, he currently is makeing 449whp on like 20psi, and stock internals. Hes running a gt30/70 turbo. the last time i saw him run he ran like an 11.80 at 126mph, with an open diff and crappy tires. Supposidly hes in the 10's now. Top Hat motorsports a while back qouted me 4200 bucks for an rb25 swap a while back. and thats buying the motor and them mounting, and dyno tuning.

Well I almost forgot there is also the 13b (rotory) swap... I could get a tuebo rotory swap it in with a turbo header and when I sell a few more things megasquirt that and go from there and hope it doesn't blow.....

Thats one of the things thats leaning me away the rotory is I don't know of anyone with any experience with a rotory and imagine after shipping it out it could cost some money to send it out and wait for it.. etc if it did blow up... As in it might be cheaper to buy another....

So come on guys you have to have some sort of input...

Umm, search for threads by auxilary (aka aux). He's the most knowledgable about the 13B swap on this board (I believe).

He'll go on and on telling you much that swap costs and how overly complicated it is.

I agree with some of the other comments though, I'd suggest the RB25. It'll fit it just as easily/hard and can take make way more power on more stock parts, so it really saves you money in the long run. Same could be said about the RB26 if you're looking for insane power levels, but if you're looking at the RB20 then I'm assuming that's not the case.

well to the v8..

I have a 350 I'm peicng together for another project... But I love the wirl wirl woosh noises of the turbo... Ohh I am going to put that in my 300zx by the way...

but this just in... late breaking news.... I ended up buying a head off ebay.... So I guess its l28 for another year... But I'm megasquirting it so....:mparty:... That, upgraded alternator, an aluminum crank dampner, and electric h2o pump... And I aught to be happy...

so till I get my next bonus I guess its l28...

but on the note of the rb20det being a low hp motor, whats that make the l28et??? that has even lower hp??? but ohh well the old mule wins again...

Max. Power; kW/bhp 160/214 @ 6400 rpm

Max. Torque; Nm/ft-lbs 263/194 @ 3200 rpm

Thats what I found. L28et will have a little more torque and a little less hp. But Im guessing the L will have a flatter torque curve.

My opinion is just save up your money to buy what you want. Buy right, buy once. Buy out of impatience, buy twice.

sort of how I feel.. But I got a good deal on the p90 hed (already milled)shipped for 250... Oh new rockers included... And I am goinna have to spend 50 on the valve job... So 300 and its back on the road... I'm going to get megasquirt so I can eliminate the flapper box, and actually tune my ignition and fuel curve, instead of tricking the ecu in to thinking less air is going in (less boost to a stock ecu = more timing (correct me if I'm wrong) which I think amongst other things lead to my head failure...

And I figure I can always use megasquirt on another project when I fially upgrade my engine...

Also on the note of a rotory swap being harder?? Im confused smaller engine in an engine bay.. engine swap = custom motor mounts no matter how you look at it... And if I did do a rotory swap I would be one who adds the oil to the fuel... Yeah its a rotella weed eater engine why??? lol..

and as for the external dump out... that could work on any car... .

Of to which is one thing Ive been trying to focus on is I guess you could say universal parts, or parts I can adapt to other engines....

And as for the hp and tq curve... who needs hp when your wheels are off the ground.. but then again who needs torque when you have wings....

ok well anyway till next time...