HybridZ

Anyone weld the cank collar with good results?

05plsrt-4

Of course I have a crank with the very narrow oil pump drive. I've done quite a bit of research on it and hear of people both installing a JUN or australian crank collar, or welding it.

I dont understand why you just couldnt weld it a little longer??

I got a quote the other day of approx $500 to machine the crank and install the collar. Little more pricy than I wanted.

Anyone weld it with good results? Or bad results?

Of course I have a crank with the very narrow oil pump drive. I've done quite a bit of research on it and hear of people both installing a JUN or australian crank collar, or welding it.

I dont understand why you just couldnt weld it a little longer??

I got a quote the other day of approx $500 to machine the crank and install the collar. Little more pricy than I wanted.

Anyone weld it with good results? Or bad results?

How do you tell on the cranks if you have the narrow oil pump drive ?

I'm located in Canada. Theres no place that can do that in my area. I'd have to ship the crank away to have it done. Total cost of shipping, machining, installation and balancing is around $500 plus the cost of the collar.

Thats why I wanted to know if anyone has welded one with good results.

Sure theres lots of machine shops, but none that will do this. I have a few good friends who work at some very good machine shops, but they dont want to touch it. I was told they had to ship the crank to Toronto or Montreal which would come out of my pocket.

Contact Mid Nite Auto Machine, on Colville Road, just south of Lawrence Ave. West, on Keele St.

It's in Toronto, but you're going to have to make the sacrifice if you want to build it that way, or you could fork out the cash and get a late R32 or R33 engine with the wider collar.

your pick.

Mid Nite auto is a full machine shop, however, they send out all their crankshaft work to another person that he swears is the best in the local business, but anyone can say that.

This is where I will be taking my engine. I just have to go scope out the place again before I go and see what else they're working on so that I can tell how much attention they will be paying to my parts.

Teamnissan - I think that because they're friends they just dont want to screw it up. Theres one other machine shop in town, the very best around, but they run 2 racecars (which customers who get machine work done seem to pay for all the parts). The price of their work is usually double to tripple what the other places are. I dont dare even call them.

I'm going to call a few non-automotive machine shops and see if I can get a better price.

I havnt decided what to do yet. I dont know if i'm just going to run it the way it is until I blow it up, or if I should just build it once and be done with it.

I havnt decided what to do yet. I dont know if i'm just going to run it the way it is until I blow it up, or if I should just build it once and be done with it.

I'm not going to type out something in regards to how stupid it would be to disregard the oil-malfunction issue with the RB motors.

It's clearly documented and has raised enough attention that if ANY modification were to be done to an RB motor, whether in factory form or in full race trim... it should definitely be the one to insure that either the oil pump doesn't fracture, or the oil pump itself is removed completely in favour for a better system.

It might entice you to, instead, sell your motor you have now and buy an R33 version if you don't want to deal with the collar repair. Or you can go to the GTR Canada boards, and ask who has done the modification in question and ask how much and where.

Whether you have money to blow or not, you'll end up spending more in the long run if you don't fix the error with either of the two ways described above (machine/sell).

IMHO, that is ridiculous, and ignorant.

None of what I've typed in this post is personal, btw.

I didnt take it personal what so ever. Only on here to gather information.

But like I said, I havnt decided on what to do yet. You do searches on various forums on the net and find people who swear by it, but also people who are just running the engine the way it is and not having a problem. Sure, if I dont do it, its possible that I will destroy the oil pump, but on the other had, if I do do it, theres always a possiblity that something else will happen to the motor.

The only reason I disassembled the engine in the first place was to replace the head gasket. Now I'm thinking about building the block once and for all.

I didnt take it personal what so ever. Only on here to gather information.

But like I said, I havnt decided on what to do yet. You do searches on various forums on the net and find people who swear by it, but also people who are just running the engine the way it is and not having a problem. Sure, if I dont do it, its possible that I will destroy the oil pump, but on the other had, if I do do it, theres always a possiblity that something else will happen to the motor.

The only reason I disassembled the engine in the first place was to replace the head gasket. Now I'm thinking about building the block once and for all.

I understand where you're coming from. It's hard to make this sort of decision.

However, there's ALWAYS a possiblity of the engine going. Even on brand new assembled factory engines. That's just the way things happen, and you know that. LOL

But at least if you make a checklist of most important things, and their prices as well as their impact on engine operation you can make an educated decision on what is worth the money, and what is not.

It takes a lot of research. For an example, take a look at the attached PDF that I created a couple of months ago that I've been adding to weekly, in order to better detail my website. In this version, I have not expanded the final items, so even though you cannot see it, you can imagine the amount of work that goes into decision making.

Only you will know what you can afford and what you find worthy.

But hey, if you build up the engine, you will need an up-rated oil pump, and that requires a crank collar too, as they're all made to fit up to the R33 style flats on the collars. If you just put the head gasket on, then don't worry about it.

IF you're going to build it, then do it.

Nissan RB Engine Information.pdf

Ah I see, thats ruff. They wont touch it even if you sign off?

It's not a legality issue, it's a moral issue. They're friends, and they'd hate to see work go to waste.

This is the reason why I seldom ask friends for help with high dollar items that can easily malfunction. I trust their work is good, but even if there was a defective piece of the puzzle, both I and they would feel like complete crap for it not working out, even with no blame. I can appreciate that, cause I'd feel the same way, always believing that I could prevent what went wrong. It's a shitty feeling.

Some see it as an experience and a chance to test the waters, though. Those are usually the places that come out with extremely good results the second or third time around. But everyone wants to be that fourth time. Right after it's nailed down, and before it gets sloppy.

Guest TeamNissan
It's not a legality issue, it's a moral issue. They're friends, and they'd hate to see work go to waste.

This is the reason why I seldom ask friends for help with high dollar items that can easily malfunction. I trust their work is good, but even if there was a defective piece of the puzzle, both I and they would feel like complete crap for it not working out, even with no blame. I can appreciate that, cause I'd feel the same way, always believing that I could prevent what went wrong. It's a shitty feeling.

Some see it as an experience and a chance to test the waters, though. Those are usually the places that come out with extremely good results the second or third time around. But everyone wants to be that fourth time. Right after it's nailed down, and before it gets sloppy.

Ya but if your friends can't help you whats the point? They might as well be acquaintances, then at least they could help you lol. I see the point though, dealing money between friends is always a risky proposition, engine parts/work or not. In this particular case though when you have no else to go to friends are who's supposed to be there, no?

Ya but if your friends can't help you whats the point? They might as well be acquaintances, then at least they could help you lol. I see the point though, dealing money between friends is always a risky proposition, engine parts/work or not. In this particular case though when you have no else to go to friends are who's supposed to be there, no?

True enough. I just have no machine shop friends, or friends that know what they're doing around tools enough for me to trust them with exact tolerances I would supply. And the last engine "builder" I took my engine to didn't exactly impress me either.

When I referred to signing off though I meant a non friend because he said no machine shop would touch it.

Hmmm, this is true. What I've found about most Ontario based machine shops is that they don't do the crankshaft work. They have some suppliers and service stations in which they know a person or two, and the follow those specific people wherever they happen to be working to ensure the same quality every time.

I'm willing to bet that if they were working on the ENTIRE engine, they would do it. But just for the crank collar, they wouldn't because it might just not be worth it for them.

Just build a Dry Sump System!:rockon::iospalo:

Try racebread.com or skylines australia. Every once in a long while someone throws in the towel and sells their project. I have seen Crankshafts for sale with the mod already done or not being needed at all.

The whole point was I wanted to do it cheaper than the $500.

And it would probablly cost $500 to have a crank shipped to me from australia.

I guess one of the reasons they dont want to do it is because the crank has 2 flat spots that need to be ground off. Its really hard on the crankshaft grinder.

I havnt made my decision yet, still need to call a few other places.

Does anyone know where to get a cheaper crank collar? Cheaper than the JUN?