HybridZ

Anyone weld the cank collar with good results?

05plsrt-4

The whole point was I wanted to do it cheaper than the $500.

And it would probablly cost $500 to have a crank shipped to me from australia.

I guess one of the reasons they dont want to do it is because the crank has 2 flat spots that need to be ground off. Its really hard on the crankshaft grinder.

I havnt made my decision yet, still need to call a few other places.

Does anyone know where to get a cheaper crank collar? Cheaper than the JUN?

JUN are discontinued, no?

I have one that someone is copying. If you've not found one by then (ebay), then you might be able to purchase one.

=)

and shipping a crank from australia is gonna be hell. I think machinists don't wanna touch the flat spots because it's something they're not used to, and probably don't know how to set up their machine so the cutting tools don't smash against the edge of the flats on every revolution. perhaps a better way to do it would be to sand down the flats until they're relatively round and then proceed to finish off the machining, but i dunno.

someone WILL do it. just keep looking. it's going to have to be in toronto or surrounding area.

ANY machine shop should be able to do this mod in their sleep. its just basic machining. All it takes is for the crank to be setup in the lathe to a fine precision (no greater than .02mm run out), and machine about 6mm off the diameter over the whole area where the new collar will go. using a ceramic insert would be the go here as the crank is quite hard.

Then using a suitable high tensile material (4140 or 4340) machine up the collar that will have all the desired flats and seal surfaces etc. the inside diameter wants to be a shrink fit onto the crank (-.03-.05 undersize).

Then its just a case of heating up the collar until it will slide into postion on crank and as it cools it will lock solid and you'l have no issues with it coming loose. it would probably pay to machine the oil drive detail in after it has been put onto the crank.

In my machine shop here in New Zealand, we could do the whole job (ie making the collar and machining the crank) for $200NZD.

I can do some drawings up if anyone requires, to help explain to any machine shop.

Hope you can understand my ramblings :-).

05plsrt-4 - Are you in London? Did you just sell off some L28et stuff recently? If so, the guy you sold them to would have no problem machining that crank for you. He does a lot of work for automotive machine shops that they can't do. Drop me a PM.

Cheers

Doug