HybridZ

Filling the front bumper indentions

datsun40146

I have shaved the marker lights, side trim, headlight buckets lines and the rear bumper on my 280z. I also swapped out the large front bumper for an astro-van grill similar to brian510's car. This was done to complement the shaving work done to the rest of the car and for a cleaner look. However now that I have removed the front bumper I am left with two indentions in between the valance and the body, you know where the bumper bolted to. Is there any way to smooth that out, I don't want to use filler b/c of the air pushing on that area I am afraid of it cracking. That wan the car is about to come out of paint and I dont want to change anything now. I can't really weld it because one cannot weld fiberglass (air dams material) to steel. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to solve that problem? Other than MSA's front body kit, which I don't really have a great liking for, and I have all ready invested in the van grill. Thanks for anyone's ideas, I am open to suggestions and open discussion.

Quoted from jbc3 in a PM he sent me.

I actually finished the fiberglass inserts and didn't like them much. All you do is cover the insert holes and surrounding area with wide masking tape. Fiberglass the area and then when it cures, stretch a layer of glass to form the outer or final surface and glass it. The whole thing peels off when you are done. The problem I had with mine is I peeled it off too early and the whole thing twisted slightly making it hard to fit perfectly flat.

I had a sheet of 1/8" Kydex (heat mold able plastic) so I cut a form out of thick paper, cut the kydex, heat molded it to the shape I wanted to cover the insert holes flush with the outer body and when it was done, I used 3M double sided adhesive to hook the covers on