HybridZ

LT1 cooling, ya gotta burp these things.

I discovered a fuel leak at my fuel filter this morning. After I fixed the leak I decided to take a run around the neighborhood, sort of a shake down ride since I really haven't been able to drive it yet. I was watching the gauges pretty close since on my ride home from the exhaust guy last week the temp gauge was really high and suddenly the check gauge light came on. And that was on a 1 mile drive! The gauge kept climbing and as it hit the "red" mark the check gauge light came on, so obviously it was real. I went home and let it cool down for a while before checking the radiator, it was low, about a gallon! Wow, I thought I had filled it completely. I filled it up and started the car and again it climbed over 210. I remembered people here talking about LT1s needing to be burped to get rid of air pockets. I have 2 bleeders, one on the thermostat housing and the one I added to the steam pipe/heater hose connection. I slowly open the one on the steam pipe and sure enough it stated spaying steam and a little water. I closed it and checked the temp gauge, it was down below 180, but stated climbing again. I burped it a total of three time and now the temp sits right at 180 at idle or running. Obviously I should have done this sooner but running the car without an exhaust is not something my neighbors would appreciate.

i dont know anything about bleeders. The thermostat is closed when you fill the radiator with water, if the block is empty, it will be empty until the thermo opens, which will make you have a low water level once the block fills with water. Some guys break in the motors with no thermostat

i dont know anything about bleeders. The thermostat is closed when you fill the radiator with water, if the block is empty, it will be empty until the thermo opens, which will make you have a low water level once the block fills with water. Some guys break in the motors with no thermostat

I knew that, but this is different because of the reverse flow from what I undertand. Air gets caught in the heads and must be bled off or the coolent won't flow even if the thermostst is open. Once the rad was full is was still over heating until I burped it. No more coolent was needed after that.