HybridZ

Key set

Rustyfriend

When i first got my z it had no keys at all...the owner lost them. so a few weeks later he gave me a different ignition with a key that worked.

so now recently i was on ebay and found a complete key set for a 280z.....sadly i lost (VERY rare that i do) by $2.50.....i was ignorant and thought i had no one out to get me so i thought $190 was fine....WRONG

anyways i am in need of a complete key set with keys, it can be missing the ignition if need be. i am looking to actually be able to lock my doors, open the glove box, and open up the hatch so i can get my project under way

What does a locksmith charge to re-key a car? Can't be much more than $190. When I pulled my '71 Z out of a 15 year storage nap a last year, I couldn't find the key but still had the key code on the original sales paperwork as well as on a slip on the glovebox door. Don't ask me why I left it on the glovebox door. It cost about $30 to have a new key cut from code at a local locksmith's shop.

No need to break into the car to get the code...it's stamped into the housing of the passenger door lock. Remove the panel, and the lock, then read the code. Take that to your local automotive locksmith and have him make a key for you. BINGO. Done.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a clip holding the lock cylinder in. Roll the window up and contort your hand in with a pair of needle nose. I think you can also get at it with a long flat tip screw driver. There is also a kotter pin at the back of the lock.

Be carefull with the pin and the clip. The door likes to swallow them up when you drop it!

Right click on this link and save as

http://www.fairladyzg.com/PDF/1977%20280Z%20Service%20Manual.pdf

This is a pdf format of the 1977 280Z Factory Service Manual. Go to page 485. Illustrations are not the greatest but it should give you an idea of what it all looks like in there.

• 2 weeks later...

The code should be on the lock cylinder, but it is pretty small, and hard to read after all these years. On my passenger door lock cylinder, the code is close to the hole in the side. On my driver's door lock, the code is 1/4 way around the cylinder from the hole. On mine the numbers don't jive with what they are supposed to be though.

greg