HybridZ

Is the T-56 the only option?

Guest KraZ4spd

Guest KraZ4spd

I want to go with a 5spd but it seems that everybody talks about the T-56. Is there a 5spd tranny that can handle hard driving at around 350hp, and still mount in the stock console of a 70? If so what is it called and where/what can I get it at/in.

------------------

It's Your World Man, Just Get Out Of My Way!!!

KraZ4spd

KraZ,

I cant speak for anyone else; I've never used a 5spd..nor have I ever contemplated one.

For me its not about "Is the T-56 the only option"; I'm sure you could use a 5spd if you wanted to.

How I look at it is like this; I've spent my late teens and 20's doing the muscle car thing & playing around w/the stock set up...that was fun; but cruising at 65mph & the "RPM's" redlining was not very much fun. Now I've got my 3rd Z & not only the knowledge (the funds hopefully will follow soooon) but this forum to aid me thru if I ever need the help. I want something a little more than just "Okay" or just "Acceptable"; I think the rpm drop of the T-56 would be just that something I'm looking for in my V8Z car. I like the 6spd because it gives the Z some longer legs.

This time when I build my car-its gonna have more than those old 3spd auto's in my past musclr cars; to me the 5spds are just not gonna cut it for me; so I guess you could say its a personal choice.

BTW-is your 350hp RWHP or FWHP....if your looking for 350hp make sure you factor in the 15/20% loss at the wheels when you're deciding on your engine's power band.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Some V8 Zs have used the World Class T-5 with engines in that power level and beyond with success. Jim Biondo's car worked with a WC T-5 (with Ford upgrades) behind a 570hp small block.

I have a Tremec TR-3550 behind a mild 327.

It has ratios of 3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.00, 0.68:1.

In a few months it will be on the road (in paint jail now) and I'll be able to report on the driveability of it. They are known to be notchy shifting. These handle more torque than the T-5 (reportedly) and the Tremec TKO is stronger (around 450 ft lbs capable). Again, reportedly notchy.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest chevsun

I ran the non world class t-5 all last year with no problems and at 70 mph in 5'th the engine was not working at all. I should add that I did not beat on the car but did put it through the paces a time or two. I have upgraded to a t56 this year just because I cant stop the performance demon that lives inside me and I would like to take it down the strip if I get the chance.

Pete...Shame on you.... You can't Put Biondo's 5 speed in with the rest of those T5s.... Jim's 5 speed was gutted and had custom EVERTHING done to it, which explains its survivability in that car!!!! (I'm just bustin' chops!)

Anyway, I think that using a World Class T5 or a Tremec would be fine for anything less than 400Ft.# of torque, which is the real killer on T5s... Also, as someone else pointed out earlier... those T5 failures you hear about, those were in Camaros and 'stangs that outweigh the Z by 400-500#! Put a T5 in a 2700# Z and you might just be fine even with 400ft.# of torque. In my opinion, and I have one in my car, the T56 is overkill for most of the guys out there, but does add that "Cool Factor" that everyone loves!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited April 23, 2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Pete...Shame on you.... You can't Put Biondo's 5 speed in with the rest of those T5s.... Jim's 5 speed was gutted and had custom EVERTHING done to it, which explains its survivability in that car!!!! (I'm just bustin' chops!)

Mike

Mike, it's true that Jim's T-5 was gone through at Liberty Transmission, but that was mostyl to get a set of ratios he liked. Before that, it was a WC T-5 with all the Ford upgrades from a place in Michigan that orders them from then BW, and now Tremec (who bought out BW's transmission business). He had several thousand miles and a number of drag strip passes on the WC T-5 before Liberty got ahold of it.

Most people can't believe that a WC T-5 could handle that torque. But granted, he didn't have a ton of miles on it or a lot of drag passes on it. Knowing Jim, I bet he didn't hammer the hell out of it either.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Fast Frog

KraZ4spd:

I've been running a WC T-5 Camaro with my 383 setup for over 5yrs with no problems! I even had a Paxton SC hooked up until a few months ago and still had no probs. Now, I don't speed shift or try to "patch out" in every gear; but, I do (did) have well over 400 ft lbs of torque and about 425 HP when it was driven in the 1/4 mile at a local track about 2 yrs ago. It held up fine cept the driver(one with track experience-I don't have much)said that it wouldn't stand up to too many passes with that kind of power! So, if driven decently(don't try to kill it), your 350HP setup should be fine! BTW, the gear ratios for the WC T-5 Camaro are: 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00 & .63.

hey mr. frog

which t-5 are you using, is it one out of a iroc/firebird from 88-92, im super interested in getting me some OD, what is you rpm at say-70-75mph, and what rear ratio are you running?????/ thanx mr. frog.

Guest Anonymous

While I love my T56 and would buy another, it is not the only option. The Tremec like Pete has is strong, some say notchy, but I've heard other reports that don't mention that at all (even a Ferrari shifter is notchy by all reports, but for its purpose works fine).

The WC T5's might work for some depending on how hard they're hammered, how much tire your using, LSD or not, and maybe even powerband (smooth and builds torque smoothly over a wide RPM range VS insane and the torque is explosive in a specific RPM). Alot of this is speculation, I've yet to see a good explanation on exactly what causes they're failure besides its torque rating being exceeded. But some continue to have no trouble. Depends on the loose nut behind the wheel in some cases I think. smile.gif

As far as the OD the difference is like .12 to 1. The T5's I think being .62, the T56 .5,

the difference in RPM maybe a couple hundred rpm's. In the real world not that much difference. It comes down to your usage for the car, budget and what sort of deal you can get on whatever tranny you decide to use.

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited April 23, 2001).]

Can another trans be used, say a T5? Sure! How long do you want it to last and how much power are you putting down? I had a stock '88 T5 last for over 2 years behind a twin turbo 302 in a fat Mustang, 3rd died after I beat on it a little too hard one day icon_biggrin.gif I went to a Tremec and have yet to be able to speed shift 3rd since. The Tremec on the other hand is a much stronger trans! However it weighs more, is noisier, and in my case was notchy. Some of the prices being found here for T56s are as low as what I paid for my Tremec way back when too (sigh).

So, yes a T5 can be made to survive. Beat on it too hard and it will bite back though. Tremec is even stronger but it costs a bunch too.

Lastly, the "custom work" that Jim B. had on his car most certainly effected the torque handling of the trans. One of the things that changes the torque ratings on various transmissions like the T5, the WC T5, the Tremec, and the various T56 are the gear ratios - especially 1st gear as I recall. The lower the 1st gear the more torque stress things see and the lower the rating (as I recall)....

No doubt the ratios affected the strength as well, but he had it done to home in on ratios for drag racing.

In that vein, I've heard that the 3.545, 3.364, and 3.15:1 ring and pinions are stronger since they have more simultaneous pinion teeth meshing than the higher numberical gears.