HybridZ

280ZX Head Question

SLVRBLLT40

I'm currently rebuilding an '82 280ZX engine to go in my '73 240. I was just curious as to a few things. First off, according to some specs sheets I have, the 280Z ran a slightly wilder cam than the 240. Problemo: 280 uses internal cam oiling, whilst the N42 head I have was set up for the oiling tube. Can I install the 280 cam towers on the N42 head and thus have internal cam oiling? If I can, is there a reason why I shouldn't?

Thanks,

Mike

• Administrators
First off, according to some specs sheets I have, the 280Z ran a slightly wilder cam than the 240.

240 and 280 carry same cam specs.

280 uses internal cam oiling, whilst the N42 head I have was set up for the oiling tube.

As far as the head is concerned, both oiling systems are interchangeable.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took a dial indicator to my P79 '82 280ZX camshaft and to my N42 camshaft. They ARE NOT the same. The N42 carries a a .433 lift on both intake and exhaust lobes, whereas the P79 carries a .413 intake lift and a .433 exhaust lift. And no, the P79 cam does not have worn out lobes. I am also willing to bet the duration specs differ on both cams as well. Super duper.

• Administrators
I just took a dial indicator to my P79 '82 280ZX camshaft and to my N42 camshaft. They ARE NOT the same. The N42 carries a a .433 lift on both intake and exhaust lobes, whereas the P79 carries a .413 intake lift and a .433 exhaust lift. And no, the P79 cam does not have worn out lobes. I am also willing to bet the duration specs differ on both cams as well. Super duper.

Thanks for the Link Brad-man

As Ron stated, the specs for the OE 240 and 280 cams are the same.NO OE cams that came to the states in a Z car had .433" “valve” lift. .390" and .413" are the common “valve” lifts for the OE L-6 camshafts. (don’t forget to subtract valve lash in your calculations when measuring the nose vs. base circle "before" you multiply the rocker ratio). If your measuring and calculating technique is accurate, then that is an after-market cam. At that, .433" doesn't make sense for an after-market cam, i.e. why would an cam grinder bother with mere .433" lift?

In '77 the cam oiling for the L-6 switched over to internal. internal and external cam oiling is interchangeable. Just swap the cam towers. Internally oiled cam with internally oiled cam towers and vice versa. Do NOT mix cam towers from different heads, nor mix cam towers from their relative positions on the head. Stamp them 1-5, (or whatever system works for you), front to back and install them in the same order.

Maybe I'm reading the table that Brad linked to wrong, but the cams specs do look different to me. Not that it really matters, they're just a hair different and both are way too small. Slightly "wilder" implies that the stock cam has some degree of "wild" which it really does not. That cam you have, even if it is .433 lift, is tiny in my opinion.

Regrinds are cheap, I think Delta charges $65. If you want a bigger cam get something that is actually worth the bother of installing. Before you do that though, read up on the stock EFI and its interaction with larger than stock cams. Pretty soon we'll have you going for an aftermarket programmable ECU and a "real" cam... :D

• Administrators
Maybe I'm reading the table that Brad linked to wrong, but the cams specs do look different to me. Not that it really matters, they're just a hair different and both are way too small. Slightly "wilder" implies that the stock cam has some degree of "wild" which it really does not. That cam you have, even if it is .433 lift, is tiny in my opinion.

Regrinds are cheap, I think Delta charges $65. If you want a bigger cam get something that is actually worth the bother of installing. Before you do that though, read up on the stock EFI and its interaction with larger than stock cams. Pretty soon we'll have you going for an aftermarket programmable ECU and a "real" cam... :D

Yeup! That about sums it up.. XD.gif ... Thanks Jon.