HybridZ

Hello new here, got a few questions(searched a little)

Well its tax return season and this year i'm thinking of buying a project. I looked around craigslist and it looks like i could pickup a running 240z thats pre-smog for 1-2k.(obviously in need of work)

I asked this question on another Z forum, but since this is a more performance oriented forum. I think i might have better results.

1. Does anyone know where i can find some info on the stroker kits made?

One of my options could be to buy a 280z motor and stroke it out into a monster engine. However i know little to nothing about the stroker kits or even the performance options available.

2. When it comes to a V8 swap, how hard is the mounting when using a newer LSx based motor and the JTR kit? I have a buddy that is certified in welding, but how hard is the alignment/fitment with say a T5/T56/NV3200(from the trucks) mounted to it?

3. Would i need a rear end swap to handle a built 6cyl or V8??

• Administrators

3. Would i need a rear end swap to handle a built 6cyl or V8??

Regarding question #3, The 240-Z came with a slightly smaller diff than the 280-Z, (R-180 vs R-200). Here is a “stock’ 280-Z, R-200 differential with the stock Datsun rear suspension taking another for the team.

motivator1789543.jpg

Good luck,

Paul

2. When it comes to a V8 swap, how hard is the mounting when using a newer LSx based motor and the JTR kit? I have a buddy that is certified in welding, but how hard is the alignment/fitment with say a T5/T56/NV3200(from the trucks) mounted to it?

Reguarding question #2.

The JTR kit is for the older small block chev engives- will not work with LSx. Now the kit from JCI- Brokenkitty.com works very well with the LSx. Now, If you were to just search, Grasshopper, you will find all the answers to all your questions.

Mike

Regarding question #3, The 240-Z came with a slightly smaller diff than the 280-Z, (R-180 vs R-200). Here is a “stock’ 280-Z, R-200 differential with the stock Datsun rear suspension taking another for the team.

Good luck,

Paul

wow, so i'm guessing a rear end swap wont be nessecary for my plan of say 400hp(give or take)

Reguarding question #2.

The JTR kit is for the older small block chev engives- will not work with LSx. Now the kit from JCI- Brokenkitty.com works very well with the LSx. Now, If you were to just search, Grasshopper, you will find all the answers to all your questions.

Mike

ok well that gives me a little more to go off of. BTW, maybe you know. is the truck 4.8/5.3/6/0 all based on the LSx block? Or do they use a different mounting system?

If you're thinking 400hp, you'd better forget stroking a Z motor altogether. The V8 swap is more-than-likely your best bang for the buck. Go to http://www.LS1Tech.com for all of the answers to your drivetrain questions. Installation questions will be answered here; but, as stated earlier, SEARCH and READ [bOTH sites]. It's all there......

Also, check bad dog parts [can't remember his exact webpage phrasing] for the structural pieces that you will need for 400hp. They will likely save you a fair bit of time, which equates to money, which you can spend on other things that you WILL need. The other route is to have your welder-buddy do all of the reinforcing using standard steel stock, which MANY have already done here, as well.