HybridZ

engine build questions

zane9000

I have some spare parts hanging around so I was thinking about building up an engine with the following: L28 Crank, L24 Rods, E88 Head, 2mm Head gasket, N47 Block. This is going to be on a forced induction setup. I am trying to decide on pistons. I would like to use to use l28 flat pistons, but as I understand there will be a deck height clearance. If I use stock KA24 pistons will I need to overbore the cylinders? Also, are the KA24 and KA24E the same thing, if so are these

(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97-2-4-NISSAN-Pick-Up-KA24E-sohc-Piston-Set-Rings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33665QQihZ020QQitemZ300194243674QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

a good buy? They seem pretty cheap.

Thanks!

If your gonna boost watch your compression ratio. I think that combo might put you close to the 10:1 area...and thats not good for boost, especially with the E88 head.

I think 8-8.5:1 is where you wanna be for mild boost with a p79 or a p90 head.

I hope this helped.

Matt-

If your going to boost you don't want to use the OEM KA24 pistons, The ring lands are small and weak and wont handle the boost very well. There are two types of KA's the KA24E and KA24DE, Both use the same pistons and are not good with boost. Exp. when you will have high compression.

I am aware about the compression issue, thats why I was planning on using the 2mm head gasket to help as much as possible. I am also going to be using megasquirt to regulate fuel and spark and I will be very conservative with boost.

Would the stock L28 pistons work ok or do I need to look for another option?

I am aware about the compression issue, thats why I was planning on using the 2mm head gasket to help as much as possible. I am also going to be using megasquirt to regulate fuel and spark and I will be very conservative with boost.

Would the stock L28 pistons work ok or do I need to look for another option?

Since your going to be using the E88 head i would go with the l28 dished pistons.

Since your going to be using the E88 head i would go with the l28 dished pistons.

If the dished pistons would work that would be great. The only reason I had a concern is that I put those items into this (http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/calcs/engine%20builder/index.html)

calculator and it said I would have an issue with deck height.