HybridZ

I keep blowing fuses

AKWIKZ

Guys,

As the title states, I'm having a problem with fuses. I have a 10 amp fuse inline with the switched power feeding the computer main wire and the four assorted wires. It seems to randomly blow out. It will work fine for a while, then will blow out repeatedly when I put new ones in. The wire is 10 gauge running from the battery through an aircraft style switch, so it bypasses the stock wiring completely. Is 10 amps too small? Or should I seperate the main wire from the smaller ones and run those on another fuse?

I think I fouled the plugs today as well. I was driving around having a great time smoking the tires and such then the car died in fifth gear (due to the fuse). The car was still in gear as I coasted to stop. Would the injectors keep firing due to the fact the engine was still turning (from the fact that it was still in gear) even though there was no spark? I ask because after I got it to run again it now has a very slight miss at low throttle. Thanks for the help.

Brian

Does this computer control fuel and spark or is it a piggy back? If it controls both then no, the injectors weren't firing.

If this fuse provides power to the injectors as well, it might be too small. On a friend's car with 380cc injectors, we had to use a 15 amp fuse on just the injector circuit (the megasquirt box just needs a small 3 amp fuse).

Mario

So I pulled the plugs. All are pretty fouled. I am probably running way rich. I will turn down my fuel pressure and go from there with new plugs. And it looks like my #1 coil pack is broken. It apperently still works, but it has blown out some "goo" from one side where the case of the pack is split open. What is the best NGK iridium plug to run on a relatively stock R33 RB26dett? I have found some info but I'd like to gather all I can. Also, anyone have a spare coil pack they will sell? Thanks

(And no, I don't think this is related to the fuse issue. I'm going to run the main wire seperate from the others on it's own fuse and see what happens.)

Brian

Run the other wires on another fuse. what are those other wires powering?

I think just running the other wires on another set of fuses might be ideal. actually, separate the wires via 4 separate fuses of say, 5 amps, you can tell which wire is overloading by the corresponding fuse blowout. and to make it simple, run the side that connects to the batter using 1 wire, and connect all the fuses to that wire (less clutter at the terminal) using that 10 guage wire you have.

Fuse blocks are quite cheap too, 15 bucks or so for a 4 slot with almost all hardware.

It might not be the amperage but the fact you're using a fast blow fuse. If the circuit suddenly asks for a lot of current the surge current might be blowing the fuse even if the steady current is less than 10A. I'd try Careless's suggestion of isolating the problem, but if that isn't conclusive you might try a 10A slowblow fuse. No guarantees, just a sugestion.