HybridZ

tuning help

stprasinz

Ok as you all may have read I have recently aquired a megasquirt. What I am wondering is a few calculations on boost psi, on a 4 bar map, to put in to get the desired numbers to put in the tunin bars... Also anyone have a basic tune for my setup. (or a basic this is close...)

390cc low imped injectors,

turbonetics,t3t4 60-1

running spark also from a hei 4 pin,

boost controller,

metanol injection,

wideband o2,

flat top pistons,

p90 head

schneider stage 2 cam(480 lift if I'm correct)(race only 480 lift??)

currently I'm not running the stainless valves I had in my other head(would have increased low rpm air flow, alongwith low lift, I'm told (if I understood correctly)

also big intercooler, 93 o better, 3" manderal exhaust

I hope I havegiven enough detail

I also hope to run about 20 psi max on street, but depending on how that goes I may up it a few psi...

any hints etc would be greatly appreciated

Also what I am runnin g is megasquirt 1 with extra.

What do I set things like timing? its all started out with the entire map at -10 and wont let me go further?

is that the equevelent to 10 deg atd? so I should change them all to positive #? basicly ranging from 19-28... (28 vaccumm to 2 psi of boost up to as low as 18 full boost at about 6000 rpm and the tweaks for everywhere else...

Now I have searched and found alot of how to after its running but setting up the maps I have found very little for prestart up tunning.

also the 4 bar map how do I tell the tunign software its there?? what do I set the map to..

I know I am asking alot and its probably all somewhere and I am just looking in all the wrong places to find it....

any and all help would be appreciated.

Any tunners in the ny pa area want to lend a hand to get an up and runner a hand????

thanking any and all in advance..

thank you, thank you very much (in that elvis voice... lol)

You need to read the megamanual and peruse the maps posted in the sticky. Tuning is something that takes a lot of time, patience and effort. I think few will answer because everyone's setup is so different. You'd be lucky to get a map that will make your car start. Trying to press it further without a wideband, lots of knowledge and tuning effort is bound to foul the engine and wash cylinders or blow it quite spectacularly.

Megamanual as in the wiring, and trouble shooting manual?

What I am looking to do is get a scraggley safe tune to start my car and drive the block checking sensor reading for tunning. THings I am wondering about is the map sensor settings. I have a 4 bar map and would like to know where to set the kpa at and what the vac, boost would be in refernece to that so I can tune.... I have a good basic setting I think so I will be able to start the car, but am lacking things like this(actually need this so I can setup the maps, but understand basicly where to go from there.) I also figured out the advance timign map.. pretty simple actually it just starts with the timming preset to 10 deg atd for some bizzare reason.

So here are my basic questions

What kpa settings are equal to what boost level, on a 4 bar map sensor

What about the fuel requirements? How do you get them starightend out? as in do I set the lowest afr I want my engine to see?

THanking any and all in advance.;

Hopefully these are easier questions. ANd definintive answers(as in solid precise answers) are always appreciated.

Megamanual as in the wiring, and trouble shooting manual?

What I am looking to do is get a scraggley safe tune to start my car and drive the block checking sensor reading for tunning. THings I am wondering about is the map sensor settings. I have a 4 bar map and would like to know where to set the kpa at and what the vac, boost would be in refernece to that so I can tune.... I have a good basic setting I think so I will be able to start the car, but am lacking things like this(actually need this so I can setup the maps, but understand basicly where to go from there.) I also figured out the advance timign map.. pretty simple actually it just starts with the timming preset to 10 deg atd for some bizzare reason.

So here are my basic questions

What kpa settings are equal to what boost level, on a 4 bar map sensor

What about the fuel requirements? How do you get them starightend out? as in do I set the lowest afr I want my engine to see?

THanking any and all in advance.;

Hopefully these are easier questions. ANd definintive answers(as in solid precise answers) are always appreciated.

First and foremost, you have to buy/beg/borrow/steal a wideband. If you don't have one, stop reading now and go get one. I highly recommend you buy one to keep in the car at all times versus borrowing to get it tuned and watching it for a while.

I refer you to the megamanual for some tuning advice. They have a pretty decent 'first start' procedure to get you up and running. Usually you start the car and get it warmed up however you can; making rough fuel changes to keep it from running too rich or lean. Obviously 14.64 is stoich. Then you get idle to stoich (or slightly richer if it won't idle well) and stabilize the idle air. You want to get it as close you can to stoich and then bump idle rpm a tad and then enrich it as a last resort to get it stable. Next you can rough out the fuel map with some reving in neutral and then driving around the block. After you get a decent fuel map you wait for it to get stone cold again and rough out the cold start and coolant enrichment setting. Then you go for part and full throttle, etc. Plenty of timing maps can be had on the threads where they post maps. It may not be for your specific ECU (ie., MS2, etc.) but the timing is still the same for similar rpm/boost/cam/compression/octane, etc.

A car warming up with usually start out at about 12.5~13:1 when it first starts and it tapers to stoich by the time it hits 10~20 degrees F below warm idle.

I am not sure what you mean by you "would like to know where to set the kpa at and what the vac"... Are you referring to load points? If so, usually 3 is usually enough in vac and the rest in boost. The lowest vac point should be a tad below your idle vac or lowest cruise vac; whichever is lower. Space the rest out and then set one at 0 kpa (relative). Typically you never let a turbo engine get much below stoich air/fuel in vacuum. At zero relative pressure it starts to taper richer and many ppl also taper it at very high rpm in vacuum. The conversion for psi to kpa and other numbers can be found on www.convert-me.com.

Coil dwell is specific to the coils/coil you are using. Use wikipedia if you aren't sure what dwell is. There are plenty of good articles on here, as well, to help you find the right settings for your ignition.

I hope I have correctly interpreted some of your questions and given you some helpful advice.

Well sorta... But I also haver a wide band in the car already.... what I mean about the kpa is that is what ios in the side bar of the maps... I would also have a setting in the vaccum range to help to get good fuel economy. also I think I am going to create a map (after my initial tune is good and safe) that will be an antilag setup for racing... which would consist of retarded timing tables when not under boost to create an antilag setup.... But thats down the road.. I have to wait till my initial tune is solid first. Also I am waiting to make my harness till I get my tape (plymoth harness tape that has been discussed in the forum....)

anyway. thanks for the help

• 3 weeks later...

when you input the values for kPa on the side, 100 is atmospheric (well 101.3 but its close enough) so for when you are making boost it is added to 100.

EX: make a few boxes ranging from below your idle vacuum to 100, then scale it from there to your max boost. if you dont go low enough or high enough its okay b/c MS will extrapolate (figure out what they would be based on the other ones) all points not in the tables.

I dont know if thats what you were asking...hope it makes cents