HybridZ

what tranny

2fast2Z

First, don't start telling me to search, i have for the past 2 days and still no answer.

I like to know witch trannys that will bolt up on a RB25DE, the reason why, is that i have a RB25DE on my hands, but its with 5 speed auto tranny and i want to go manual.

The swap is for a 240Z

Thanks

Chris

First, don't start telling me to search, i have for the past 2 days and still no answer.

I like to know witch trannys that will bolt up on a RB25DE, the reason why, is that i have a RB25DE on my hands, but its with 5 speed auto tranny and i want to go manual.

The swap is for a 240Z

Thanks

Chris

I think you're lying. But any RB Tranny will bolt up to any RB.

The Transmission you're looking for is the FS5R30A, which can be found in the 87-89 Z31 Turbo Coupes, the Z32's, and RB25/26's, except for the 26 you'll have to remove the front prop shafts and seal off the diff housing.

Also, you have to have a bell housing from an RB25 or 26 to make it work.

Good luck. This has been covered, and you can read more in detail by searching more thoroughly... I know that is a fact because I've posted in many other threads that ppl have started on regarding the same topic.

There is even a walk through thread on how to do it.

Raff

Thanks for your replies, i have been reading those threads, but it don't say that other trannys won't fit, so if i get it right i have to use a bell housing for a RB no matter what, is that right.

I wasn't planning on a swap until i got this deal, its a Skyline front cut, so the wiring harness, ECU and everything else is there, it just sucks that i comes with that 5 speed auto tranny, don't get me wrong, i love aut. i have it on my daily driver, it just don't suit a sports coupe in my opinion.

Anyway, this whole deal isn't that good if i have to go find a tranny/flywheel from a skyline.

Btw. if you look at my location you might undestand, that reading technical in a language thats not my native, makes me kind of handicapped.

Chris

understandable. you should be looking for a 200sx or something that has a RWD SR20.

• you can use the RB20 bell housing with the FS5W17C transmission that comes on S13's with both all engines; KA24, SR20, CA18, and R32's with RB20's.

• you can use the RB25 or RB26 bell housing with the FS5R30A transmission that comes on the 87 Z31 Turbo, and the RB25 and RB26 equipped Skylines.

• RB20 bellhousing will not fit on a FS5R30A transmission, and RB25/26 bellhousing will not bolt upto the FS5W17C transmission.

• Some use push, some use pull style clutch. Modifications can be done to use either.

Sorry for asking, but will this do, just found it in Germany.

One other thing, is there any different in the ECU's aut vs manual

Chris

that looks like a FS5W17C because of where the bell housing attaches to the transmission..

are you putting a lot of power through this thing? more than 400? If so, you might want to look at the FS5R30A.

if you go with the 200sx transmission, you need a RB20 bell housing... that will be hard for you to find. I think you can bolt up the KA24 bell housing but one ore two bolts don't line up. then again, you don't get the 2.4 litre there... so RB20 is your best bet.

If you find it hard to get the RB20 bellhousing the best thing to do is buy the complete unit, and get rid of the transmission.

then use the RB20 bell housing with the most common transmission (i think for you, it will be SR20 or CA18 Transmission), because they are a tad longer or short even though the internals for the W17C models are the same... so if you stick with the one that is more common, you can make your driveshaft to that size. If it blows, buy it again and swap the bell housing again. If you buy a RB20 transmission, and blow it up, and then you buy an SR20 unit and swap the bell housings, you will find that the SR20 one is a diffferent size, so your driveshaft will not be correct. I'm not sure how much difference, perhaps an inch or so (chassis are different lengths, so they made the gear case a little different to match up to the shifter hole properly)

easiest way to save money in the long run.

but if you really want to save money, get a stronger FS5R30A and be done with =)

If you don't understand anything, point it out and i'll try to explain a little better.

The swap is for a 240Z

Thanks

Chris

thought about a manual valve body for the auto trans?

best of both worlds

like a clutchless manual,the gear you select is the gear you get regardless of revs or roadspeed,pretty cheap to buy(around $350 new in australia) and easily installed

hook this up with a mild histall converter and good oil cooler and you have a very lively transmission,perfect for tough street/strip driving,faster than a manual