HybridZ

1974 260z 2+2

ey guys, I found a 2+2 around the corner from my house and went to check it out today. The Car is automatic so what actions would I have to take in switching that out? (2+2 uses different stuff then regular 260?). Also the front driver fender isnt attached at one of its mounting points so it wiggles alot when you pull on it. Paint is okish, some spots are chipped off and the rear quarter panel has bondo on it I believe. Interior seems mostly there and is in ok shape, could probably use a nice cleaning. The guy said he would take 300 for it which isn't a whole lot of money.. He said the car runs and drives but the carbs are an issue ( I think it has stock carbs). I would probably just swap on som SU's anyway and call it a day. This car would be my daily driver to and from school and to cruise around. You think its worth picking up or should I wait it out and look for a 2 seater. How much worse is the 2+2 at performing then the 2 seater, because im looking for a car that I could occasionally track. Overall im looking for a crazy handler that i can drive everyday and fix up along the way. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Elliot.

the auto --> manual swap can be found by searching.

but...

a $300 east coast car with visible bondo is probably $300 for a reason. have you checked for rust? z cars love to rust, and the salt put on the roads during the winter only helps them rust more. be careful you don't get a rust bucket.

I didnt have a good chance to check for rust under the car while I was there because of snow on the ground. It seems like from driving by recently that all the visible bondo is on the drivers side as well as the flapping fender. I need to check the rest of the car for rust and bondo, but I just haven't had the chance because the guy never returns my phone calls... The passanger side looks in good shape, but im sure there is something lurking under the paint. My main concern would be the frame rails and the floors but again, haven't had the chance to check them. I suppose I will see what happens this week if he ever gets back to me...

I'd be real wary of a car that has visible bondo and a fender that flaps in the wind. BTW there would be no difference in a coupe versus a 2+2 as far as doing a tranny swap other than the 2+2 driveshaft is of course longer.

Actually this is incorrect. The 2+2 have larger flywheels and clutches. 225mm to be exact. I think a 2 seater Z is like 215mm? At anyrate... it's the same clutch as the 240sx, the EXACT SAME. So you need a 225mm clutch (pressure plate and disc) the tranny is the exact same no difference in length or size. And the drive shaft like mentioned is longer, about a good foot or so.

However for 300 bucks it could be a steal, I would definatley search hard for rust in it though for that price. Be prepared to invest a thousand or more the first year of owning it in repairs. Daily driver Z's that have sat for a while are notorious for problems.

-Ed