HybridZ

Smokin' quick 700R4

Andrew Bayley

Greetings all,

Long time V8Z'er, first time poster (go easy). First off, I'm glad to see there is a home for all the fellow V8Z's out on the Net.

Secondly, I have a small problem that has buggin me for quite some time and was hoping that somebody might be able to shed a little light. It seems that my 700R4 (in a 74.0 260Z) has a slight transmission leak somewhere. What is so strang about this...? Well, it only happens when it is hot (+90ºF) outside. After a day at these temperatures, there is a nice 1 quart puddle under the pass. side of the tranny. The cooling lines were tightened (with teflon tape), a new aluminum pan was installed, and the TV cable 'appeared' to be seated normally. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the cheap B&M P.O.S. TV cable I bought from summit is not sealing properly. It just seems wierd that it would only happen when it's hot out. No fluid seems to leak if I drive (beat) it around all day. Also, I put a nice sized cooler up front... so I can't picture the fluid getting too hot under driving (beating) sessions. Any input would be appreciated.

On a final note, I was reading some of the older posts (from February) and read something about an individual wondering what needed to be done to 700R4 to make it "streetable" for out Z's. The 700R4 I'm currently using came out of an '87 Z28 for $250 (bone yard). I had no idea on the mileage, so I just said "drive until it dies!!!" Using this philosophy (which I don't really recommend, I think I just got lucky), I went with a B&M shift kit (the stiffest one that they still call "streetable") and a 3000RPM lock-up converter. Second gear lights up the street tires pretty good with the shift kit. However, I have made about a dozen 1.664 60 footers with BFG drag radials on this relatively stock 700. The 3.06 first geat is just right for my combo (3.54 R200). Bottom line, think twice before believing someone that claims a 700R4 needs $10,000 worth of mods before it can handle more than 200hp. Then again... this might just be why I have a pool of fluid under the Z every now and then. Oh well, it's the price we all have to eventually pay.

-Andrew Bayley

Andrew, Mike might be in the right area. I'd look in the area around where the filler tube goes into the case. Sometimes the dipstick tube seal pulls out a little. If its your TV cable, then you have my sympathy. eek.gif Those #$% are hell to get to. 700s are awesome automatics. That second gear shift is too wild to keep in line! Welcome to the site!

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 24, 2000).]

I'd also comment that I have almost 300HP in a 4000# truck and a bonestock 700R4 that I beat on religiously every day and it hammers fine. I think if you are pushing hi HP and torque numbers like Byron or MikeZ or some of the others, you might have to get inside the sluch box for some upgrades. But anything less and I'd also say DRIVE IT!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk