HybridZ

T-56 and Correct Starter?

Greg SmileZ

I have a '77 with a 350 and T-56. (Test fit the engine, now making sure everything fits!)I purchased the starter that JTR suggested (page 3-4 #3) GM PN 323-485 10465167.

It will not fit the T-56 bellhousing and my early 350 block!

What is everyone else using?

I don't have a high HP 350,think it will be about 300HP.

I am planning on a remote solenoid and was thinking I would use a stock starter, and not one of the mini-starters.

Thanks for any suggestions?

Greg SmileZ

When you say it doesn't fit, how doesn't it? Do you have the right number of teeth for the right flywheel? or is it hitting on the frame? Give me more specifics so I can help.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

When you say it doesn't fit, how doesn't it? Do you have the right number of teeth for the right flywheel? or is it hitting on the frame? Give me more specifics so I can help.

Mike

The "stub nose" on the front of the starter hits the T-56 bellhousing. I would think my only option is to use a mini-starter. I am using the CenterForce Flywheel 700107.

Thanks!

Guest Locutus

Since Mike (Regis) Kelly is our resident T56 expert I would say thats a complement John, but if I could add here when I talked to mike on the phone I believe he told me to get a starter from a 94 -96 LT1 Caprice or 93 - 96 V8 Camaro, Transam, Firebird. Please correct me if I am wrong since I will be hunting for my starter as well in the next week.

Mike

Locutus.... You obviously don't need a life line here....

The above models are correct. 93-97 F-Body is what I used. Expect to spend about $180 -$200!

Mike

------------------

mjk

The AC Delco part #323-488 fits a 95' Camaro. We sell our preferred dealers at $167.78 exchange. Autoexpress.com has the same # at my COST, $139.81 ex. You might check them out, and figure shipping. I wish that owning a parts store could be more helpful to this group. My partners don't see this as a problem. Probably why I took off a coupla months to build my car!!

Never get mad....

Dennis,

One of my best friends used to manage a parts store. One of the larger ones in my area, as a matter of fact. He used to give me Jobber price on all my parts because of my business license and the project I was building, racing cars... Anyway, the sad truth of the matter is what parts dealers buy in bulk for and then mark up.... Alternator for my 93 GMC 5.7 L was listing retail at $240, and I got it at jobber price for $38. Those V6 toyota calipers cost me $18 each without a core charge... crazy. Wish he still worked there...

Mike

------------------

mjk

You are so right. I've been explaining business trends to deaf ears for 5 years now. When I was a regional mgr. with Quaker State Oil, I covered 22 states and saw the big chains take over markets everywhere except Chicago. We have been 10-15 years behind the times, and lucky to be there. Not no more! I think I'm going to bail out and go sell ice cream!

• 2 weeks later...