HybridZ

Rear Disc Conversion on 75 280Z

Any1 know if the 240sx rear setup will fit inside 14" datsun alloys?
I'm working on a kit now that will. should be done next week. I sell brackets that fit mustang cobra calipers already.

But those won't fit behind a 14 inch rim. I will keep you informed.

I don't mean to take this thread off track, but the question of drums or disks in the rear came up. There is another factor besides braking performance when considering changing to rear disks.

The Datsun stub axel, particularly the 240, is a weak link in the rear end. It shows it's failures primarily on very high hp cars that have already been upgraded with stronger diff's and CV's.

With drum brakes, if you have a stub axel failure you have the potential of having the tire leave the car altogether. The physical structure of a caliper over a disk has the advantage of at least constraining the wheel to stay with the car.

Your odds of this happening? I personally have only heard one story, second hand, of a stub axel failure where the wheel left the car. In the seven years reading on this site I have never read of a first hand account of a stub axel failure followed by the loss of the wheel. However, this is the primary reasoning I'm using as the justification to upgrade to rear disks. My car is a street rod that sees no track time and the stock brakes are more than adequate for me. Just the thought of losing a rear wheel at speed is enough for me to spend the time and money to upgrade. But then, I tend to worry about stupid things.:rolleyesg