HybridZ

Shifters

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm trying to decide on a shifter to use on my conversion and was wondering if the forum had any suggestions or preferences on the subject. I'm using a 700R4 w/ factory TBI so I need to have a park/neutral switch.

Any help would be appreciated. Jeff

I use the B&M Hammer shifter for a 700R4. IHMO, it's the best looking B&M out there (not saying much). Actually, it's the ONLY B&M that will work with all four gears of a 4 speed. I always liked the JTR idea of using the stock Datsun shifter, but so much of my interior is now non-stock, it's wouldn't really match. Anyway, I've had good luck with the B&M (knock on wood!)

-Andy

Guest Anonymous

I have used the stock datsun shifter with good results. No extra holes,Lights plug in. I love the stock look, very stealthly.

------------------

I have owned several b&m (ratchet) shifters

such as the star shifter megashifter ect

ant I have BANGED them all really hard

and never missed a gear !

John I'm not sure what shifter you may have had that you had problems with

but most of the new B&M shifters are ratchet and work pretty good for the $$$

the megashifter I had on my Z had both p/n safety switch and reverse light switch

the only thing is I did like the starshifter better as it had a mode where once in first you could pull the t-handle up and pull it back into (safety?)race mode where you could only go 1-2-3 (that one was on a ford)and thats it till you pulled the t back and put it back in normal mode where as the megashifter you ratchet 4-3-2-1 then 1-2-3-4

however once in 4th you can ratchet to N

works ok that way like at the end of high speed run go to N and coast to bring your RPM down on the motor..

Stan

[This message has been edited by scarp (edited June 12, 2000).]

Wouldn't recommend the cheapie B&M for the 700. Its too easy to overshoot the detents. I was on a budget and should have waited . I'd go for the better ratchet type shifters that will let you bang away without overshooting a gear. Neutral safty switches/ backup should come with any good shifter.

JS