HybridZ

TKO???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I picked up that issue of Car Craft with the different trannys and was taken by the TKO by Tremec. This unit only weighs 97# dry and is considerably smaller than the T56. Next Generation Parts sells the units for $2000...new. These are easy retrofits to T5 equipped F-bodys so getting a bellhousing would be cake. The ratios are nice on the tranny and frankly folks...why the hell do any of us need 6 speeds with these torq'y beasts? Most of our cars would be fine with a 3 speed if the gears were right. I'm just thinking out loud here but it seems that for the money the TKO might be a better choice for my Monster since I'm so crazed by weight reduction. Any thought or comments on these rantings?

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Zdriver.com

Guest RON JONES

Sounds like your makeing perfect sence to Me.BTW I checked out the newer pics of your tube frame in the rear section,looks good!

Spenc, some good questions. The TKO seems like the best of the 5 speeds. Almost up with the Vipers T56 550 torque. 6 speeds seem redundant, especially when the last two are overdrives. From a crusing standpoint, and I do get into some long drives, the slower my engine is turning, the better. Even with a .7 overdrive a 3.54 becomes a 2.48. My new 6 will cut this to 2.19. 3 speeds won't cut it for me. 4 for the road wars and 2 (one would do) for getting good milage and saving on wear and tear. Too bad a a CVT hasn't been designed for high hp.

JS

Less weight... GOOD!! I think the popularity of the 6-spd isn't so much the extra gear, but the numerically low overdrive for cruising...

If you could get a 5spd with a suitable O.D. 5th, I can't imagine it being worse in any way to a T-56.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

Yeah...the TKO has the following ratios:

1st: 3.27

2nd: 1.98

3rd: 1.34

4th: 1.00

5th: .68

REV:3.00

I think the ratios are good and would be very nice with my 475+hp, 475+ft-lb motor in a 2000lb (maybe sub 2000 lb with the TKO) car. It would give me a highway cruising RPM (75 mph) of...2038 RPM in 5th. This is plenty respectable for an engine that will have a powerband from 1500-6500 RPM. Yep...I'm going TKO fellas...

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Nice nice, the quest ofr lightness continues. smile.gif This is the kind of stuff I love. Spencz, have you any plans to use lexan or other light weight "glass" in your car? You could save a hundred pounds there I'd guess, maybe more... Its kinda pricy though.

IIRC, Jim Biondo used lexan on his car didn't he? Or am I thinking of another car?

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

I priced out having some custom lexan pieces made up for the car and they were going to charge me like $1600 bucks for 1 set (windshield, doors, 1/4's, and rear hatch). They said that the lexan was good for a couple of years of driving before the scratching became a hazzard. For $1600 I could make aditional HP to make up for the increase in weight. It isn't worth the trouble in my opinion.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

Zdriver.com

Guest Locutus

The only thing I could see lexan offering besides a weight advantage would be its nearly unbreakable. So common thieves would have a harder time getting into your car, but it still wouldn't be impossible.

Guest Anonymous

Hint: You can find TKOs for _considerably_ less than $2000.

------------------

Michael Sen-Roy

Houston Performance

281-893-6080

------------------

SpencZ,

I'm surprised Mikelly hasn't chimed in. The TKO is the sister to the Tremec TR-3550 that came in the original mid 90s Cobra R Mustangs. It handles more torque than the TR-3550, due to larger input, main, and output shafts (i'm pretty sure that's how).

Mikelly has told me that he has a buddy with a Tremec in a Stang (lots of mustang people put them in to upgrade strength from the WCT-5) and he says it's notchy as hell. I've heard this from others, although Mike at HP Tech says a good break in will have it shifting fine.

I have a TR-3550 that was converted to GM use by http://www.darkhorseperformance.com . Forte's also offers this for the GM crowd.

I haven't driven mine with the Tremec yet, so I'm crossing my fingers and I will change the GM Synchromesh at 1000 and 2000 miles as Mike at HP Tech has advised me.

But seriously, I wished I had gone the T-56 route for the legendary shift feel and robustness of it's design. Afterall, even an extra 50 pounds isn't huge, and it's low at the center of the car, the best place. I appreciate the quest for light weight though. You are going farther in that respect than me.

Mike Kelly has entered the discussion....

Do not buy one of those until you drive a car equipped with one. I did, and would not own one, period.

Those are the most difficult shifting transmissions I have ever touched. SpenceZ, try to find someone in your area with one and ask them to let you drive the car with them in it, and tell them you heard the trans was tough to shift, and that you want to find out before you buy one... And Michael is right, you can get them way cheap... My buddy goit one for $700, but when he drove my T56 equipped Z he fell in love.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I'm with MIKE!!!!

Folks, I'm a BIG 'Stang guy. The V8 Z is a lifelong dream - the Mustang is a dream I made happen. Well, actually it's still happening as I've not finished it's last rebirth (blown 351W).

However, I have had a Tremec 5speed! I put it into my car after my twin turbo 5.0 blew the T5 apart. It lasted a good long time but I didn't beat on it either, then one day I did and boom!

What Mike said about the driveability is true. It's the notchiest trans I've EVER driven. It's also noisy. Read up on it, it's not much different than an M22 with a 5th gear if what I've read is accurate. On top of that mine was rebuilt by a pro and is STILL notchy. After living years with the T5 and nearly a year of daily driving with the Tremec I still cannot reliably speed shift 3rd gear - I hit 5th. Before it was rebuilt I would actually get stuck between the 3/5 gate and it got real ugly.

The reaosn I'M going with a T56 is because of the .5 overdrive. The 3.90 or 3.70 rear I'll likely wind up with plus the really short tires makes for some decent RPM on the road and the .5 overdrive means I get some chance at MPG if I take a trip. The T56 is a superior trans and can be gotten for less than the $2K figure. Likewise I've got no doubt that the tremec can be found for around a grand if not less.

P.S. I've seen three blown Tremecs including some with sheared input shafts. They aren't indestructable and if you get one used it'll be because someone is probably switching to an auto after getting sick of it's notchy shift or it's breakage. It's also noticably heavier than a T5, the T56 being heavier still. Screw the weight...

Ouch! I dunno' man. You've already got it, you might as well use it. If the opportunity to get a cheap (lol) T56 arises before the TKO is in the car you might want to consider it. No matter what, if the TKO ends up in the car do yourself a favor and get the best shifter you can. I'd also seriously investigate a synthetic fluid for it but make sure it's the right type for that trans. I think GM makes a good fluid for it.

It won't be as smooth at the T56 - ever. It has brass synchros and no clutches like the T5 and I think the T56 but it'll work. Anything you do to smooth it out will be good, try to insulate the mount with rubber and maybe the shifter handle too. My Mustang shifter has no rubber and buzzes nicely *ahem*.

Sorry to rain on your parade man and I'm sorry we didn't tell you before the purchase....

BLKMGK, it's in the car ready to go as I type this. I plan on getting the Pro 5.0 shifter (want to sell yours?) and use the Tremec-recommended GM Synchromesh fluid. Michael (HP Tech on these forums) has experience with the Tremec's and has said that breaking them in easily for 1000 miles and then changing the fluid, as well as again at 2000 miles makes them shift better.

Yeah, I'll try it, but I'll be scanning for a good T-56 also. The Sallee T-56 for 85-96 T-5 Camaros looks interesting. They have an adapter plate in front of the transmission to use it on a Camaro T-5 or straight up Muncie type bellhousing. Unfortunately, the adapter is not available separately for putting it on your separately sourced T-56. But the picture in the August Chevy High Performance shows a simple flat plate adapter with holes. Something you could easily have made, once you had the two bolt patterns centered. They want $2295 for the T-56 and adapter - that would be an easy retro-fit for me, but the money is kind of steep. You do get the Viper tail housing on it for use with a mechanical speedo cable.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Guest Anonymous

Pete,

Have you considered the Steeda shifter for the Tremec?

I was reading a Steeda advertisement tonight on the back cover of "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" and the shifter is supposed to eliminate the difficult shift into third gear.

Just throwing out ideas...

Chris

Chris, I've checked them both out. Most agree both are far better than the Tremec supplied shifter, but some feel the Pro 5.0 is better. Most have the Pro 5.0 also.

Thanks for the input!

You can bet when this puppy hits the road I will let you know how it shifts!