HybridZ

One More Question - Amp Meter

OK, the tack is back and the dash is in. The instruments seem to be functioning properly, BUT. The amp meter appears to be working, but when I turn the ignition off, the meter continues to read the volts. I thought it use to go off with the key. Can someone check their's and let me know. Also, how did you hook the LS_1 alternator wire (big one) into the Z, it is possible I caused the problem when I did that.

Yes.
hmmm interesting...does anyone think this puts much draw on the battery? Also what about the gauge...seems like it would burn out eventually or something. I was just about to get in there and change the gauge to read off a key on only wire...does anyone think this is a bad idea?

I thought that the volt meter should not be constant, so I just took the power lead to the volt meter and moved it over to an accessory power source. Now I don't worry about my battery going dead after sitting for long periods of time.

Maybe it was designed to be on all the time... I guess you can say that I don't care... I like it better my way :-)

Jody

Looks like I opened a hornets nest here. I have owned the Z for over 30 years, you would think I would have noticed the gage before now!! Based on the comments above, it appears it should be on. I also sorted thru the shop manual and on page BE-33 it appears that the meter is not switched. I like the idea above about going to a switched power source. Can anyone confirm for certain the meter stays on with the switch off? Seems odd to me.

Yes.. I have a 77 280Z. The volt meter stays on with the ignition switched to off. The volt meter should have a small capacitor in it which should be charged up pretty quick. Once charged it becomes open and therefore shouldn't draw any more current. I have my battery hooked up for a few months without moving the car and the battery still good.

The big cable from the alternator goes to the B+ at the battery.