HybridZ

Doc's new project

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell; I wanna build a garage! What's your budget been so far, if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to be moving soon and the new house may not have a garage, which just ain't gonna fly!

I have $4250 in the garage and lift total with concrete, rebar and remesh. I have propanel for the sides. It is used and green in color but I got it for $250.

• 3 months later...

This time on the little red z. Getting the brakes re-done. Parts should be in tomorrow, should have brakes done by midweek. Putting new tires, just 205/75/15's on it for now.

Then time to install the engine and trans, get it all wired up, fired up and ready to hit the road. Have everything so that will be done.

Then it's on to the white z, getting it backhalfed and going.

Bought a Braswell 1050 dominator for alky today!!!! OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh baby! The boys z's 434 is going to like that one!!!!

Been working on a buddy's '55 chevy, doing a v8 conversion for him that has turned out to be the while we are at it thing. Was supposed to just get it running with the 6 banger, which ended up having a dead cylinder. So I gave him a 700r4 and things went south from there.

While we are at it why don't we;

Converted to PS

Rebuilt entire front suspension with new springs

new gas tank, fuel lines

new rear springs

9 inch ford rear end with disc brake conversion

350 with 700r4 all stock

new painless wiring

new steering column

new body bushings

new body to frame supports

new floor pan

front disc brake conversion

What I have done so far.

Rear springs

fuel tank

PS with new steering column

Entire front suspension rebuild

Engine and trans is rebuilt and ready for install

floor pan

Getting there, I need to quit working for free. It's ok, he's a buddy for life and he's going to will me the car so if I live long enough I'll own a '55 chevy. :lmao:

Edited by dr_hunt

I got the shoes in today and the rubber brake lines, but the pads won't be in until tomorrow. Started on the rear, but the springs were all rusted and broken so I had to order a brake hardware kit. Both sides from Autozone were $7 total!!!!

DSC_0020.JPG

The '55 and the Monte

DSC_0021.JPG

Bought a new nikon gold edition D60 digital 35mm camera. Friggin awesome, so I'm playing alittle today.

The boy and I working, went to pick up one of my big loaders today so we can start tomorrow on a new project. It was at a pit where we load landscape rock. When I fix my other loader (twin to this one), I'll take it back over and leave it there. My new little yellow lab for size comparison.

DSC_0005.JPG

Better shot of my new yellow lab puppy, going to be my hunting dog.

DSC_0015.JPG

View from the pit, I own 40 acres on the balding mountain of the 4 in the pic on the left side. Awesome Deer hunting! The town of White Oaks is in the middle of those mountains

DSC_0010.JPG

Look at this 6 foot tall 14 year old kid!!! Yowsa, hate to have to feed him, but oh well!!!

DSC_00081.JPG

Truly a great day with my boy, work and working on a z! Highly recommend that nikon D60 camera, totally foolproof, well almost.

Edited by dr_hunt

Awesome Doc, I might have to drive down one day and see your shop. I really want to pour some concrete in my drive and put in a shop in my back yard. I don't know crap about pouring concrete tho. Your Z's are a lot more Zerious than most I've seen around Abq. It'd be real nice to have a lift in my garage. though I'd need to rebuild the roof to put one in. I'm not afraid of framing, it's explaining what I want to do to the house to my wife that's scary.

Phar

This is a cheezy pole barn type shop. Not much to it but it works. Right now keeps the sun and rain off of you. Concrete is no big deal, anyone can do that.

Got the disc brakes in, waiting for the hardware kit. Probably in, need to go check tomorrow. Slap the brakes on that baby!

Well, the hardware kit came in, as did the front pads and the new rubber brake lines. Got the brakes on and the front rubber lines. The back rubber lines looked ok so I left them alone. Had a hard time getting the drums off the back since the shoes had disintegrated and glued themselves to the drums. Finally got them off, got it all replaced. Pretty easy brakes to work on I must say.

So, now it's time to stab the engine and transmission. Next week, I have to work this weekend out of town building a road for a friend of mine.

I am hoping the r180 will withstand the weak 200 hp 4.3L v6. Should be fine with the auto.

Trying to decide on whether to go 14's or 15's. I have the slotted mag's in 14's the swastika's in 15's, but I have 2 new 14 inch tires. I didn't order the 15's the other day, probably a good thing I didn't. With the 700r4 overdrive I would think the 14's would be ok but the 15's might be a little better. What do you all think?

:lmao: Yeah, one wheel peel! I was hoping to just drive it around town and stuff. I have 8 or so v8's in various stages that I could always drop in. Along with a built th350 or a PG coupled with a r200. But I have the other white z with the 9 inch so I don't need the red one to boogie much.

I've always preferred the term, "one tire fire", but that's just me ;)

After playing with a friend's d50 I decided to take the plunge and pick up a DSLR too. Hopefully I'll like my d60 as much as you seem to like yours!

Definitely jealous of the property there Doc

I've always preferred the term, "one tire fire", but that's just me ;)

After playing with a friend's d50 I decided to take the plunge and pick up a DSLR too. Hopefully I'll like my d60 as much as you seem to like yours!

Definitely jealous of the property there Doc

I think you'll love it. I haven't learned all it can do, but it does alot. Got the whole kit for $650 delivered which included 16gb memory card, two tripods, tele converter, UV filter, flash, and a bunch of other stuff. Takes awesome photographs. Need a big lens now but they are about $1200, so it'll have to wait. Got cars to finish up.

Well, started to bleed the brakes. The right side caliper has one piston not working and I broke the bleeder on the right rear trying to get it loose.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Ordered new calipers and rear master cylinders today, be here in a few days. Replace those and drop the motor and trans in, start getting it all hooked up.

Picked up a core 350 early model that has a quadrajet with electric choke on it for 60 bucks. Four bolt main and some decent heads for a stocker so, I'll build the carb for the z. I gave the other carb I already built to my buddy for his '55.

Worked on the '55 alittle today and helped the boy on his '99 dodge diesel. Installed track bar bushings, brakes on the front. It was a car and truck fix it day today.

Worked on getting the motor ready to stab so I can mount it somehow. It came with jtr mounts but I'm missing one of the big triangle aluminum blocks. Was thinking of making my own like I did in the boy's z.

Have to work today on a project, but tonight I'll bolt the engine and trans together, pick up my core engine and build the quadrajet carb.

The doors don't close because of the door latch mechanism. Not sure what to do with them, probably steal some off one of the other cars in the back and replace them.

Have to reweld one of the hatch hinges onto the body as it is broken.

Got the calipers and one wheel cylinder yesterday. Have to work but I was going to try to get the calipers on tonight. Still need the right rear wheel cylinder. Bought one off ebay, waiting for it to come in. I'll take pic's when I get them on.

Ok, so the other wheel cylinder came in today. So, I'll get started on that tonight. Bought a 9 inch ford rear end today too. I also bought the jig fixture to narrow rear ends. So I am going to narrow this rear end to fit in the newly acquired "project". LOL

DSC_0046.JPG

It has a 304 v8, PS, 3 speed, 33x12.50x15's, 8000lb winch, new seats, about 80K on the odometer.

Has a rear main seal leak so I ordered a full gasket set, mild cam, 4 barrel intake which should be here next week. Going to pull it, swap cams, install new tchain and gears, lifters, intake and put a holley 4 barrel on it, then slap it back in sans the leak hopefully!

Then the rear end has to go, which is what the 9 inch is for. Going to narrow it and stuff it under the jeep. Bought a "B" series detroit locker, 31 spline today on ebay to stuff in it. I have 4.11 gears so it'll be an easy fix with the stock ends and drum brakes for the little jeep. Hoping to coax 200hp out of the little motor. Will port the heads, springs retainers and hardened keepers come with cam. Will mill the heads alittle also to get all I can get. Should be fun.