HybridZ

im confused about planes

czecho

Whats the major difference between single plane and dual plane cranks. and what does it do in performance wise

i want to know every detail about the difference because i dont know what is it

does one make the exhaust note sound more badass or what

tell me everything i need to know so this will never leave my brain

• Administrators

Czech,

I realize your question stemmed out of that thread Ron linked you back to.

Regarding the difference between a single plane and dual plane crankshaft, performance wise, the performance difference is typically only realized for the for the deep race budgets, ie. Factory backed racers. For us privateers and our street cars and grass roots race cars, single V-8 cranks merely alter the firing order giving the engine a different exhaust note, no noticeable power gain or loss, and makes it a little more “buzzy”.

Dual plane V-8 cranks are typical of the Domestic V-8, the Infiniti and Lexus V-8 as well. They have a rumble bumble exhaust note. You may have noticed they sound a lot like a Harley V-twin. So you can think of a Chevy, Ford, Dodge V-8 as being 4 V-twins stacked together sharing a common crankshaft.

Now single plane crank V-8s sound a lot like an inline cylinder, (Ferrari V-8 is one example as well as the Infiniti Indy-car engine uses a single plane, same exhaust note). As such, think of these V-8’s with single plane cranks as two inline 4 cylinder engines sharing a common crank.

Dual plane V-8 are much smoother in operation, ie. Don’t’ vibrate much, though their exhaust pulse are not equal spaced between each bank, hence the rough lumpity rumbly tone.

Single plane cranks allow for more precise exhaust tuning which is said to be worth a little bit of power, but at the level we are building, tuning, and driving our Z cars, we would reap the potential gains that exhaust tuning would allow. Also, single plane V-8’s are inherently buzzy, just like an inline four cylinder ie. Bigger displacement exaggerates that buzziness.

This short thread also covers the single plane,

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121029&highlight=Single+Plane+Crank

Here is some more info, (I’ll also post this in the Exotic V-8 thread as well.)

501233330300jpg_00000046717.jpg

With the 90° crank (above' date=' far left & mid left)[/i'], two of the cylinders on each bank fire in succession. With a 180° crank, (above far right & mid right), the cylinders fire alternately from bank to bank. Evenly spaced exhaust pulses and higher speed produces a high-pitched Indy-car shriek.

501233330302jpg_00000046718.jpg

The IRL Aurora V8's conventional 90° crankshaft has four connecting rod pins at 90° intervals, (above left). The 3.5-liter crankshaft has its rod pins at 180° intervals, (above right). This 180° design is called a flat crankshaft because the pins are in a single plane, Single plane crank, 180 Degree crank, flat plane crank.

Here is another cool link…

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cowdery.org.uk/images/engines/Flatplane.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.cowdery.org.uk/cranks.php&h=301&w=351&sz=319&hl=en&start=22&sig2=a8Uz6ESTEWcMiLiCXYZS6g&um=1&tbnid=2pwGPwAKkZ5MNM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=120&ei=3U7ER7C6NqD4gAOQ5JDUCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3D180%2Bdegree%2BV8%2BCrankshaft%26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

Dual Plane V-8

Dualplane.gif

Single plane V-8

Flatplane.gif