HybridZ

New MS1 V3 install and just will not fire up

wigenOut-S30

it should be the wire that is firing your msd on the negative side of your coil. wire it up like this picturehttp://diyautotune.com/images/cartech_articles/280zx/280zxt_relay_wiring.gif

So the pos side of the coil goes with the fuel pump relay? and the neg goes to the S5 where the MSD trigger wire goes?? hmm ok that sounds easy enough..

Gabe:

Since I haven't seen you state that you have checked this, I'll go ahead and ask if you have made sure the sensors are all grounded properly.

I'll quote the relay instructions here:

If you are using a relay board, but in the car, the runtime display shows that both your air and coolant temperatures are 170°F and the TPS is at 100%, you need to run a sensor ground. Until you do so, the engine will not start because it thinks it should be in 'clear flood' mode due to the TPS signal.

On the relay board, the grounds for the coolant temperature sensor, air temperature sensor, and TPS are all brought in separately in to pins 14, 17, and 19 (on JP1), and feed to pin 19 of the DB37. Pin 19 of the DB37 MUST be grounded if your sensor grounds are brought back to the relay board as designed. The relay board cable has a return wire that goes from DB37-pin 19 to a common ground on the MegaSquirt PCB.

If you don't have this wire, you need to connect the sensors to ground. You can do this by:

* adding an extra wire to pin 19 of the JP1terminal block and running it to the same spot the main MegaSquirt® EFI controller ground is located, OR

* moving your sensor grounds directly to the same place that the MegaSquirt® EFI controller grounds itself on the engine, OR

* connecting a wire between pins 19 of the two ends of your relay board/MegaSquirt® EFI controller DB37 connection cable, as shown in the schematic.

All of these are electrically equivalent, however the last option (the way the relay board was designed) lowers the possibility of signal noise on the sensor inputs by giving them a separate ground path.

Note that for MS-II, the DB37 pin #36 is an output, used to control an ignition module, or control a coil directly (if the high current ignition driver circuit is installed). It only needs to be connected if you are controlling ignition timing and dwell. (Pin #24 is still the igntion input, marked 'tach' on the relay board.) The ignition control signal from MegaSquirt-II on DB37 pin#36 corresponds to the relay board pin S5 of the 20 position terminal strip.

Only reason Iam emphasising this is that you said your plugs were real wet - if you have a good msq for your injectors, this might indicate the problem....

I'm just back from out-of-town -

Here's what we've got:

All sensors reading correctly in Megatune, 10 degrees advance, 180-220 rpm indicated while cranking. Seems to be rich, plugs wet, injectors pulsing (clicking). Spark present but looks weak, not the big fat purple MSD ones we're used to.

The MS has a VB921 installed - I suggested to Gabe today that he remove the MSD, set a suitable dwell, and use the VB921 to fire the coil minus directly. Gabe, I think you can do this with no changes to the circuitry.

Probably should look at injector pulsewidth while cranking, should be in the 2-4 Msec range. I think Gabe said it was around 3, but can't remember.

I'm about out of ideas...

I've always had issues on new installs that if the map isn't right, and you flood the plugs, it's best to start with new plugs.

I just want to second this, I have seen it many times. But it only does good to go to new plugs once you have fixed the problem with too much fuel.

Well she is RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the Issue was my MSD 6AL.. I guess the spark was just tooo weak!.. I ran her off the VB921 driver and she fired right up.. I am chasing a few issues here and there.. like she is smoking a good amount..So I am going to do a compression test soon. I know there is fuel in the oil so it could have thinned it out a good bit and could cause this.. BUT SHE IS RUNNING!!!!!

Gabe

Well she is RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the Issue was my MSD 6AL.. I guess the spark was just tooo weak!.. I ran her off the VB921 driver and she fired right up.. BUT SHE IS RUNNING!!!!!

Gabe

Yes Gabe,

I AM the man!

Now get the tuning done to be ready for DNI!