HybridZ

jerry rigged IC piping?

I recently got a good deal on a mk3 IC, I know you guys hate these but its better then no IC. I was just wondering what kinds of materials have you guys used for piping... Im not talking metal cause I need something cheap and easy... would the right size radiator hose work? any other ideas of what could work?

I used the sch40 white stuff in a pneumatic potato cannon. I can confidently say that 3" pvc will hold 120psi, unless you drop it, then it breaks. Trust me.

I would have absolutely NO reservations about using pvc for cold piping up to 25-30psi, there might be an issue with keeping the silicone couplers on at those pressures though.

Using sch80 wouldn't hurt though.

that's why I'd use sch80

if i remeber, it's not as brittle as sch40, and can handle higher pressures at the same time. (never hurts to over engineer things a bit haha)

i doubt you could use it for an entire intake setup though (from turbo, through IC to TB) but who knows. doubt it would hurt to try

this is right down my ally because I've used it all. PVC will work, but not for long. Mine started melting after awhile (not good) old exhaust tubing works great with radiator hose!!!! Radiator hose is very strong, its got the cord in it, and I think I ran 15lbs through it!! I've also seen hot tub flex hose used, not sure how long that would last?

Take a look at my video from a LONG time ago, look at the crap I was using! Hell it worked though. I raced, and beat a newer GTO with that setup right there!

here is that set up doing some pulls

In my ZXT, I cut the original u-bend so that it would point straight forward.

I then used ABS piping (the black stuff) and Home Depot couplers and ran 12psi no prob with the setup. I had to rough up the ends that were attached to the couplers because I would pop them off every once in a while...

I'm thinking of using reinforced silicone tubing and aluminum/steel mandrel bends for my next setup. Kind of the opposite of what people normally run.

Mario