HybridZ

1989 Toyota Corolla GTS

nbesheer

I have an opportunity to buy a 1989 Toyota Corolla GTS with a 4A-GE and 74k miles, the interior is faded and a tear in the carpet, and a bit of rust by the sun roof. Also the clutch has been replaced. and the paint is in fairly good condition. And it's for $1800 OBO, what should I look for in this car. My MR2 firned said it was a pretty good deal but i'm just curious. of and if someone can carfax JT2AE98C4K3248142 for me please that would be great.

That's not too bad of a deal, but realize that the 89 model is a Front wheel drive car. On the plus side, it's a 20 valve 4AG instead of the 16 valve from the 84-87 model.

Absolutely wrong! The US DID NOT get the 20V 4AG.

The '89 GTS is good car, not exactly neck snapping peformance but a nice driver. It has 112hp and reliable as a L28! I have wrenched on the 4AG since 1996 and know these cars and engines. You can get them to around 130ish hp with not too much $$ and they are non-interference and easy to work on.

These engines really benefit from turbo technology if you are so inclined and have the $$$ to spend.

Yasin

Absolutely wrong! The US DID NOT get the 20V 4AG.

The '89 GTS is good car, not exactly neck snapping peformance but a nice driver. It has 112hp and reliable as a L28! I have wrenched on the 4AG since 1996 and know these cars and engines. You can get them to around 130ish hp with not too much $$ and they are non-interference and easy to work on.

These engines really benefit from turbo technology if you are so inclined and have the $$$ to spend.

Yasin

oops, my bad.

The AE101 Had the silver top 20V and the AE111 has the black top 20V

I sold my 86 a while back and now I've forgotten all my corolla facts...

$1800 as a steal and it needs work....don't think so. I had a 89 gts and saw very clean cars, fresh paint sell for $1500. Like Yasin said, the motors are strong as hell and great for a DD. What do you plan to offer for the car...and see if you can get pics for us.

Clive