HybridZ

Track car project, progress, and a question...

2savage

My 1973 240z is making progress. After six months of dismantling, welding, revamping, replacing, rebuilding and rewiring I was ready this week to fire her up again. No go and I tracked it down to a bad electronic ignition box (an old Mallory Hyfire 2a). Well yesterday my new Hyfire 6a came from JEGS and I installed it and hit the button again....POW!! That did it and this baby now runs strong!!

It sounds really powerful and if I list the mods, maybe you could guess the BHP?? Here's what the engine is:

2.8 liter block, balanced and blueprinted

E88 head, ported and with bigger valves

Cannon intake to tripple weber 45 DCOE's with heat shields

Stahl headers, heatwrapped, to large bore exhaust (with one race mufffler)

3/4 race camshaft

Mallory Hyfire electronic ignition

Mallory Magnetic breakerless distributor

Lightweight flywheel

The previous owner showed me a dyno sheet with 249BHP at the rear wheels. After driving ther car home I was inclined not to believe him but now after a carb rebuild and other upgrades I think it could be true.

What's your guess??

The pistons are flat top. And yes, I agree that 249 does seem very high, but I guess I'm optimistic since the work was doen by Bob Sharp Racing, who apparently knew a thing or two about getting components balanced and optimized.

I promise the forum that once road legal again I'll take a trip to the dyno and report the results. Thanks for the input.

Some dynos are more optimistic than others, so you can get different numbers for the same engine. If the work was done right and everything is tuned right I don't think that 249 is out of the question. One thing to note is you said 249bhp at the wheels. Bhp is at the flywheel, so if they told you bhp then that would be more in line with what I think we're accustomed to seeing around here. That would be ~210 whp as a rough estimate.