HybridZ

Cranks with fuel but no spark

Hey, I was messing with my car today trying to figure out my headlight issue(low beams dont work but I get power to the light connecters with the switch on) when the car stalled out and wouldn't start again... I have a wire running from the battery to the + on the coil because something is wrong with my ignition switch (or so I was told). I can smell fuel and pulled one of the plugs but dont see any spark. Its really wierd because I had the car running and it just cut out, died and wouldn't start again. The other day I had a battery box on the car with the coil wire hooked to the battery, as got out of the car I noticed the coil area smoking so I quick disconnected it. The box was on for a little while before I noticed it and it was very hot, yet started when I was ready to move it. This car is making me crazy because I just cant seem to narrow anything down and when i try, something else ends up not working... If anyone In the PA area would be willing to help me out one day straightening out my electical issues that would be awesome. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Elliot.

So I just hooked a spark plug to the coil and got a spark but not a very big one. I used my light tester to test the + and - on the coil and they both light up (- was dimmer). But when I put the tester into the end of the coil where it goes to the distibutor I got nothing. I also tested wires inside the distributor and they were hot too... When I tryed to start the car, still nothing just cranks away. What else should I check or how can I troubleshoot this problem?

Elliot: what year Model Make engine are we talking about here? The best quick way to check the ignition is to pull a plug, plug the spark plug wire back onto the plug, lay the plug somewhere where it will be grounded and crank the car over. You will see / hear a spark. Now be careful when you do this. Don't hold it with your hand, you'll get a mighty shock. Don't lay it near any source of fuel, you could catch fire. The best / easiest way to do it is they have these little tester plug thingies at the auto parts store. It looks like a spark plug with a big clip attached. That way it clips to a ground real easy and you don't have to pull a plug. They are cheap and you'll use it a million times in one lifetime. You will be the envy of all your friends and all your dreams will come true!

The car is a 72 240z. I figured out that the points were getting fried up because of the way I have it wired. I sanded the points down and it started right up. I am now trying to figure out how to make it start with the key. I have an ignition switch coming any day now so hopefully that will clear it up.

The other day I was fixing my headlights and the only way I could get them to turn on was if I turned the lights on and the key to start.. I dont have my alternator hooked up, but this just seems strange to me. What would cause the lights to only go on with the key to start? The only two wires that I have disconnected are the one paddle connector from the solenoid to the harness and the connector from the starter to the harness (has a like clear/white connector). When I have those two hooked up and nothing to the coil, the car does nothing in any key position. I was told by the dealer that I purchased it from that it needed an ignition switch so i'm going to try that first, but what do you think could be causing this?