HybridZ

rear control arms...not as bad as you think

i'm keepin the stock arms on my 240....but i'm wantin to clean them up...years of road debris and POs have taken it's toll on them. as of now i have drilled the spot welds out for the section between where the sway bar mounts...i'm gonna use some thicker steel and create a new mount in between... i have seen pics of them tearing. my main question is...i'm gonna totally box these things in...it'll add a little weight...but really clean them up...esp once powdercoated. if i box these in...can i remove that lip on the edge where the stock spot welds were? so they are square all the way around? thanks all

i'm keepin the stock arms on my 240....but i'm wantin to clean them up...years of road debris and POs have taken it's toll on them. as of now i have drilled the spot welds out for the section between where the sway bar mounts...i'm gonna use some thicker steel and create a new mount in between... i have seen pics of them tearing. my main question is...i'm gonna totally box these things in...it'll add a little weight...but really clean them up...esp once powdercoated. if i box these in...can i remove that lip on the edge where the stock spot welds were? so they are square all the way around? thanks all

They really aren't that square when you look at them, so if you're trying to get something really perfect you will probably be disappointed. If you cut off the flange there you'd have to weld the corner when you boxed them in. I don't think there is anything too wrong with that, so long as your welds are good. An alternative would be to make a new arm out of square, rectangle, or round tube, although that is obviously more complex...