HybridZ

garage storage shelfs

grumpyvette

IF your looking for shelving for your garage, most of the cheap flimsy crap you see at the local home depot,lowes etc is junk designed for home storage NOT heavy auto parts and would be VERY dangerous if used for that application

"I would recommend checking with some used industrial supply or equipment dealers in your area. "

I purchased (12) 8' long 24" deep 6' tall shelves from COSTCO rated at 2000 lbs per shelf for $150 each, but found out later I could have purchased USED industrial shelves for about 60% of the cost that were even heavier duty

they had advertizing in the local bargin trader magazines

if your going to throw heavy stuff like transmissions on a shelf Id STRONGLY suggest you get shelfs that are rated for an absolute MINIMUM of 1500 lbs PER SHELF and 2000-2400 lbs is far better,and an 18" minimum and 24" max depth, you need room to safely slide the parts back onto the surface remember they assume the loads equally spread which ITS NOT GOING TO BE! a 400 lb trans or short block sitting in the center of a shelf is easily equal to 2000 lbs equally spread over the total surface area

BTW you can help spread the effective load by placing 3/4" plywood shelf surfaces on the racks as its usually far sturdier than the wire mesh or partical board shelfs supplied

you can further increase the resistance to flexing with a 2"X4" lip or brace screwed into the shelf along the front and rear lower edge surface of the 3/4" plywood

remember you need CLEARANCE for larger parts and on a 6 ft tall shelf that usually mean a MAXIMUM of 4 shelfs , with 3 shelfs being far more usefull due to clearance and access issues, one just above the floor, one at the top potential placement and the remaining one or two shelfs spaced for max clearance, remember the heavier stuff MUST go on the lower two shelfs if your not looking for a potential accident later, and leave room for the engine crane boom and hook you can,t place a engine on a shelf thats got just enought clearance for the part alone you need room for the engine crane boom and hook to clear as well

I'd like to add that a diagonal brace attached from the top shelf to the ceiling be used if possible.

Even more so if your shelves are taller than 6ft..even if they are a lighter duty. Its not so much for tipping while its just sitting still, but for when you are pulling objects off the shelf. In many home garages, the ceiling is low enough to make this quite easy and practical.

I am especially careful since my parts (no engine blocks or trannies) are stored on a mezzanine where I installed LOW shelves, because my mezzanine holds the shelves, spare parts, and most importantly ME!

Don't forget a good solid ladder. A 6ft light duty ladder typically has a weight rating of 200lbs..remember that when you climb on one with YOU and your car part.

Be Safe ya'll

I built shevles in my garage out of good old 2x4s ther have supports about every 6' and they are super strong. I weight close to 250 my roommate weights close to 230 and my buddy is close to 310 and our butts didnt collapse it lol. 3/4 ply and 2x4s I figure its good enough for a house and fairly cheap got about 200 bucks into the 20ish foot wall floor to rafters.