HybridZ

chevy s10...2wd or s10...4wd?

I think the bank is going to approve my $5,000 loan. So im thinking of buying a 1999 s10 extra cab 4wd $4,500 with 118,000 miles. I going to need a truck since I cant be driving my Z everyday. I commute 80miles everyday and for the work I do I sometimes need to pick up upholstery supplies. Since I started to snowboard and will continue 2008-9 season I will need a 4wd truck since I don't want to damage my dads navigator.

Mileage: 118,600

Body Style: Truck

Exterior Color: Champagne

Interior Color: Gray

Engine: 6 Cylinders

Transmission: Automatic

Drivetrain: 4WD

Doors: 3

var vin = '1GCCT19W5X8168844'

Features: A/C: Front, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Steering, Remote Keyless Entry, Bucket Seats, Airbag: Driver, Airbag: Passenger, Anti-Lock Brakes, Cassette Radio, CD Player, Premium Sound, Power Windows, Alloy Wheels, Tow Package

Selling Points: This vehicle has the ZR2 package which includes 4WD, fender flares, upgraded suspension, new off-road BFG tires, third door and fold out seat, A/C, cruise control, intermitted wipers, power windows and doors, sliding rear window, single CD and cassette, premium sound, tow package, auto alarm with keyless entry, and a truck shell.

Condition: This truck is in excellent condition inside and out. I have all the regular maintenance paperwork. Most mileage is freeway driving. I really don't want to sell this truck but I've bought a commuter car and i need to cut out a car payment. I've only used 4WD once on the beach in about 10 feet of sand just to check it out. I'm only the second owner, and i only used it to commute to and from work. It gets good mileage @ about 20 MPG. This truck would be great for trips up the mountain this time of year

i-1_T.JPGi-4_T.JPG

i-10_T.JPG

Speaking purely as a mechanic. You should expect the truck will need a new idler arm, pitman arm, and maybe lower ball joints. Usually around $800-$900. This is very very common with GM trucks. I've seen them go bad in trucks with as little as 40k miles. If this work hasn't been done recently I suggest you get it checked out by a good suspension mechanic. Other than that you really don't want my opinion on GM trucks. Good luck.

I have a 95 s10 that is similar. Someone tried to make my truck into a ZR2 and they did a fairly good job.

Like Mul-ti-pass said, get a mechanic to check the front suspension. I had a lower ball joint go out on me while I was driving, it wasnt a pretty sight.

Im not sure if my truck is an odd ball, but i dont get 20mpg. The last time i averaged it, it was around 16mpg. Ofcourse it wouldnt be the first time I would be wrong.

IMO its a nice truck and i would buy it if i were you.

I had a '91 s-10 for stinking 10 years. I bought it used with 98K miles, sold it last year to a buddy of mine for $1000 and he's driving the wheels off of it. 212,000K+ miles on it and still doesn't use oil. The 4.3 is a nice motor. Has the 700r4 trans. I've never had an issue with it, but then again I have 4 grease guns and 4 cases of grease in the shop that get used regularly. I put new A/C, new rad, water pump, battery, hoses, belts, wires, cap, rotor, and changed the oil and filters regularly. Other than those, thats it. IMO the 4wd is higher maintenance, but I don't mind.

so i Went to check out the truck today it looks good. He said he replaced the tranny he showed me all the paper work of work done oil changes and stuff. I far as price he will let it go for $4000 since he got a new commuter car. Since he still paying for the truck he has to let it go.I'm going back on monday and finish all the paper work since the bank still has the pink slip.