HybridZ

Well, I did, bought a welder finally

Well, after using my friends millermatic 175 all the time, I felt it was my turn to buy one. So I ordered my brand new millermatic 180 from Indiana Oxygen Co. it should be here this week! first project will be this http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=126732 Im so excited i had to share it, the wife didnt share my enthusiasm for some reason. Anyway, I ordered an auto tinting helmet with it and some gloves as well as misc brushes and wire pliers. anything else you guys would suggest?

Buy some extra contact tips for the gun if you didn't get some with the machine.

If you are going to be welding under your car put some leather on your helmet to cover your neck and top of your head. I did a whole 10 weeks of overhead ARC welding and I got flat-out sick of being burned. When I took MIG I had all of the protection I needed.

Reinforcement/protection made from oiled tool leather.

Emergency tape was because slag/molten gobs started to melt the plastic enough that it was showing through the helmet. Time to fix that or just pony up for a nice speedglas. I have had good luck with the Harbor freight helmets so far. One helmet lasts about 750 hours of shop time and probably half that actually welding. The plastic body melted from sparks/molten slag before the lens died for me...

n788443857_670704_4347.jpg

n788443857_670705_4777.jpg

n788443857_670706_5113.jpg

I also made a welding apron that works great!

Rivets and leather from Tandy Leather Company.

I do still wear a little hat under the leathers as the leather is protection from only about 95% of the sparks when welding overhead. That just means I'm more suprised when one lands on my ear or back of the neck...

Just be sure to keep the reel system inside the welder as clean as possible to keep even tension. After using a 30 Lb spool of MIG wire in a semester the inside of the spooling system was quite dirty and hard to clean out.

do it... now. not sure if you want to drift at all. its not really my thing, but check out clubfr.net they are out of chicago and do drift events, mostly in WI. we go to most of their events, one of my friends concentrates on drift (in his s13) another on autox in his s13, and im going to go for time attack somewhat with my s30.