HybridZ

Cruising at 131 F safe?!

Ive been watchn my coolant temps via megasquirt and my temp gauge...

During cruise and even bump and go traffic.. with NO cooling fan... still pretty low temps.

The coolant temp sensor is located at the thermostat and I have a 160 degree thermostat.

I primarily use the 160 degree thermo for when i go to track events, but i should probably switch it back to a 180 degree thermo for the cold frigid climate of Colorado.

Outside air temp recently has been between 25-50* F

Could I be doing damage?!

I would think not. I believe the engine needs to reach operating temperature (160-190 degrees) ideally so that the water in the oil (from condensation and such) vaporizes out - thus preventing sludge. At least that was the reason I have been told that vehicles that make frequent stops and never really reach heat have engine issues.

Its not that big of a deal to replace a thermostat. I would think a 160 degree thermostat is fine if it is working, doesn't sound like it is working. Might want to just replace it as it is relatively cheap and easy.

What gauge are you using? When I switched from stock to Autometer I could watch the thermostat open and close. Never had that kind of "resolution" if you want to call it that with the stock gauge.

If it isn't a gauge problem then I agree with the above comment that your thermostat is probably stuck. If your cooling system will handle it I'd go with a 195 degree T-stat. If your altitude makes it harder to cool the car down in the summer then stick with a colder one.

What gauge are you using? When I switched from stock to Autometer I could watch the thermostat open and close. Never had that kind of "resolution" if you want to call it that with the stock gauge.

Yeah, my autometer gauge does that as well. Always thought it was pretty cool watching the gauge plummet when the thermostat opens.

Weve had some decently cold whether here in Ohio (20-30 degrees) and sometimes my gauge doesnt get above 140 degrees when cruising.